• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forms for filing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

basylica

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I felt it was unfair during mediation, but the mediator told me I had no choice and to be honest my lawyer was a previous co-worker I called in desperation (We hadn't spoken for 2+ years) asking for help finding a lawyer because I was completely broke and my ex kept dragging me back to court. He offered to represent me for a very cheap flat fee, and my temp orders were already handled, I just had mediation and sign off to go. My ex of course didn't make it go smoothly (which is why my previous lawyer bill was over 6K in just over a month...)

Family law wasn't his area of practice persay, so he was fuzzy on a lot of things :(
I should have done better, but it was that or go by myself....there was no more money.

In tx, it's a flat %. 2 kids = 25%.
I was told that with 2 kids, he would be given one deduction no matter what.

for the last year until aug, childsupport was costing me 300/wk (roughly 1300 a month) and 280/wk since my oldest started school (I moved to a slightly more expensive daycare that is close to the school so he could have afterschool care there, and my little one is there as well)

my ex pays 539/mth in child support (or is supposed to. he didn't pay for 8 months then showed up with a check in court. Tx it's standard now to do a order of withholding, but they didn't include november....which he just paid me) which is less than half of my daycare costs.

I also was forced to remain in the family home and have it up for sale even with it worth about 50K less than what we owe because he couldn't afford it. He's living with his parents.

The way I see it, and of course my vision is in my favor, ex's takehome is 1600+ a month (because he refuses to do better. he has a college degree and has been at same job for 10+ years and hit salary cap the year my 6yr old was born) and has no other obligations besides the 500/mth in child support.

Meanwhile I'm paying the mortgage and taxes on the property (which I'm living here, I understand that) while strangers are coming and going which makes it hard on me. I work from home.
He wanted me to pay cash and buy him out of the house, but it's negative eq.

And i'm paying more than double what he's paying me in CS monthly just in daycare costs. It'll be another 2.5 years before they go down much. My little one is still in diapers.

AND he gets to claim one of the kids on his taxes?

I don't know if I have much hope getting anything modified, but i'd like to try.
The courthouse is *beyond* unhelpful. all they have told me in the past 2 years is "you should get a lawyer"

really? ya think? lol.

Does anyone have any info about filing ex parte motion in texas to modify support/exepmtions?
I'd be very greatful!

CJane

If you work from home, could you save on daycare costs by hiring someone to come into your home and watch the kids there? At least the one in diapers?

I don't see where there's really anything you can do legally.

basylica

not so much, no.

Even when my mom was visiting and such.....the distraction was extreme. For some reason "I work from home" equates to me being able to keep the kids home too, and far from it. Means I usually work harder/longer hours than before, and I def need a full 10hrs of focus.

I'm on the phone dealing with down VPNs and security issues, or exchange servers...etc all day long. not the time to juggle wanting mommy hugs and kisses.

I do work on the weekends and at night when the kids are here (I try and keep it down to OMG! the world is ending!!! moments) and it's hard on me and the people on the other end of the phone, even with snacks and spongebob for the lil ones. Def stinks for the kids, mommy being so distracted!

If I had any family at all nearby, maybe that would be a option.....but not so much being at home with me.

CJane

not so much, no.

Even when my mom was visiting and such.....the distraction was extreme. For some reason "I work from home" equates to me being able to keep the kids home too, and far from it. Means I usually work harder/longer hours than before, and I def need a full 10hrs of focus.

I'm on the phone dealing with down VPNs and security issues, or exchange servers...etc all day long. not the time to juggle wanting mommy hugs and kisses.

I do work on the weekends and at night when the kids are here (I try and keep it down to OMG! the world is ending!!! moments) and it's hard on me and the people on the other end of the phone, even with snacks and spongebob for the lil ones. Def stinks for the kids, mommy being so distracted!

If I had any family at all nearby, maybe that would be a option.....but not so much being at home with me.
I understand that working from home requires just as much, if not more, focus as working away from home.

I wasn't suggesting you be a SAHM. I was suggesting you hire a daycare provider to come into your home and keep the child out of your hair. Do you not have an actual office in your home? Something like a Nanny as opposed to a center.

Legally, I don't think you're going to get the satisfaction you seek. You need to find cheaper daycare.

basylica

For the area, the 300/wk one was the cheapest I could find back when I was married. Eldest went there from 1+ until he started school.

The new one is more money, but most affordable one near school/home. the previous one was 30 miles away. I commuted a hour every morning and night to work from home. LOL.

When my family has visited, even mom who is the kids favorite and takes them to the park and the like.....if mommy is home, mommy is who the kids want to be climbing on, touching on, etc.
I can't even pee alone ;)

It's a small 1 floor house, so the "get away" isn't very effective. I have a office that I use just for work....but if I can't pee with the door closed, certainly can't work with it closed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">