• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foster child adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tdaly

My former foster son was adopted by his foster mother. She does not allow me any contact with him. He still calls me and identifies me as dad.
His adopted mom adopted him without my prior knowledge while I was away for a weekend.
Do I have any recourse to gain visitation rights?

T

tdaly

Foster son

My partner and I took in a foster child in August of 1996.
My partner died in January of 1997.

I had a friend of his move in to help me take care of our foster son - as he is medically fragile.

My partner was a nurse, as was his friend (the adoptive mother). She took over co-foster parent with me and lived with us for a year plus.

After a year, she wanted to move out. Since she is a nurse and my foster son is medically fragile, I agreed it was best he live with her. This made me give up foster father rights.

She lived with the foster child for a year plus on her own.
During the time that my son was living with this her, even though I no longer had foster care rights, I had him every other weekend and 2 days during the week. This worked ok.

In one of my foster son's many stays in the hospital, he almost did not survive. He got better, and I had to leave town for the weekend, so I left knowing he was okay.

I came back to find out she had adopted him - during the weekend she had a judge come to his hospital room and she adopted him. She told the judge he was going to die as a ward of the court, so he did the quick adoption.

She then told me that she was moving to Mississippi to live with her boyfriend. She said I could visit and keep in contact. I never heard from her again. I continued to check on how he was doing through the adoptive mother's mom. I finally got her address and sent cards and presents.

She now is back in town permanently. I still cannot see him. She told people not to tell me they were back.

I have asked her numerous times what I have done for her to cut me out of his life. She will not tell me.

He just had surgery and I went to visit him in the hospital. During my visit he began to call me "dad" again. He has called me that since the day he began to talk. I am the only real dad he has ever known. He told me that he wanted to come to my house to visit. I told him that it was his mother's decision. He said that he asked and she wouldn't let him. He did not want me to live the hospital room. He kept telling me to stay.

Do I have any recourse for requesting visitation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">