• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FRAUD - Automobile purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Schwippsy

What is the name of your state? IL
I am afraid that I became victim of a scam. Someone wanted to purchase a car and for his own tax reasons put it in my name. Obvioulsy, I was talked into something that I did not fully understand. I did not sign any papers at the dealership, but allowed them to run my credit. He had access to my driver's license and other personal details (not SSN). I am probably listed as a co-owner. Once the dealership confirms that the car was purchased in my name, what are my next steps? The car was purchased in WI, I am in IL. I am not in possession of the car and have a name of that person, which I believe to probably be incorrect.
Please help me to do the right thing now!
Thanks a lot folks!:confused:

Some Random Guy

So you might own all or part of the car, and you are probably listed on the loan as a co=-signer or possibly the main borrower. Sounds like you are on the hook to pay off somebody else's car.

Find out the exact status of the loan and title and then see what you can do to get out of it claiming identity theft. Normally, I would suggest immediately calling the police as the starting point, but that would depend on how much you had to do with the sale. The "I was talked into something that I did not fully understand" leaves out a lot of facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">