• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend erroneously on Megan's List-now he's being evicted for it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MinCA

What is the name of your state? California

In the early 80's, a friend of mine found out his friend raped a girl and he went to court against the guy. The jerk (other guy, NOT my friend) claimed in a plea bargain that my friend was testifying against him because he was also involved. Charges were pressed against both. My friend went to jail for 5 years starting at 15, and was released when the victim managed to convince the court during the appeal that she had never even met him, that her rapist was the other guy-the local court ignored her testimosy to this the first time around, and the appeals court listened. The court released him, set aside all charges, etc.. But never overturned the requirement for him to register as a 290-registrant. He's been fighting this for over 15 years.

He has lived in the same apartment complex and fights for civil rights, fathers' equal rights in the court system, and children's rights (he co-founded a non-profit six years ago that's pretty well known in the courts around here). He's been quietly fighting the registration, but things blew up when the List went online. Other women in his apartment want him out, and his landlord reported him to section 8 (he is disabled with a 7-year-old son). Section 8 almost cut him (grounds of a conviction for sexual assault) until he sent them the court documents clearing him. Section 8 is nowcontinuing his benefits uninterupted.

After nearly being cut from Section 8, the Attorney General started finger-pointing at the Livermore PD, where he has to register, and the Livermore PD have been finger-pointing back at the AG for not removing him. Both acknowledge that he has indeed been cleared of all charges, and over a decade ago (his background check shows an overturned-conviction), but neither are willing to take the first step to remove him from the List.

But the apartment manager kept harassing him, and a few tenants are willing to back him up that she has been slandering him. But the damage has been done. The son is who we are the most concerned about-he's extremely angry at hearing all over how bad of a man his dad is when the son says otherwise. The son is ostracised and a lot of his friends can't play with him anymore.

The apartment manager rejected the rent check he gave her on the 1st and told him he has to be out by the 15th. Apparently she or someone started a petition to have him gone. He found out just yesterday that he has until the 15th.

What can be done? First, I thought it's 60 days for eviction. Second, he hasn't violated his lease in any way. Third, the manager has allowed others to stay who HAVE violated their leases. Fourth (no more counting after this, I promise), the manager is slandering him, calling him a rapist, despite having been presented with the documents showing his clearance and Section 8 notifying her that his Section 8 is continuing based on the charges being overturned.

Does he have to leave right now? Of course he WANTS to, but the funds to move on such short notice don't come easy to most people, least of all a disabled single-parent. What action can he take against the apartment complex? What action can he take against the state for requiring him to register for so long, and refusing to take him off the list, even AFTER they ACKNOWLEDGE the registration is erroneous?

This has caused more danage that just what it seems at the surface. His ex has been extremely abusive toward his son for years and she is using this to try to get all custody that he has (50%) taken from him. It kills your heart to see this boy with bruises all over him from his mom and to see his pleas to not have to go over to her house anymore. So this crap is hurting not only my friend, but a young child is being hurt and are risk of full-time abuse rather than just 50% of the time.

Help is needed urgently. An attorney is absolutely unaffordable and we have been helping as much as possible to find him an attorney pro bono or something while we search for one for my hubby. Please help!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">