• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

friend used credit card and won't pay back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CGA

What is the name of your state? NJ

A friend of mine loaned her credit card to a friend to buy Christmas presents back in December (my friend was with her when she was using the card). The friend charged $170 worth of merchandise and is now refusing to pay it back saying my friend has no "proof" that she actually charged that amount. I personally think this is stealing and told my friend that she should confront this person and demand the money back, or she will go to the police. If that doesn't work, is there anything else my friend can do to get her money?

BelizeBreeze

CGA said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

A friend of mine loaned her credit card to a friend to buy Christmas presents back in December (my friend was with her when she was using the card). The friend charged $170 worth of merchandise and is now refusing to pay it back saying my friend has no "proof" that she actually charged that amount. I personally think this is stealing and told my friend that she should confront this person and demand the money back, or she will go to the police. If that doesn't work, is there anything else my friend can do to get her money?
And what will going to the police accomplish?

As your friend was told, she has no proof of the agreement, no proof of which items were purchased by the other party and no basis for a lawsuit except that she was dumb enough to allow someone to use her card without the above.

CGA

Going to the police won't accomplish anything, except to maybe scare her friend into paying something, hopefully. I realize the police can't do anything.

Her friend did write a letter (in her own handwriting) saying she realized she owed the money so I suppose my friend could use that as proof. But I have a feeling my friend will never get her money back.

divgradcurl

Tell your friend to sue the other person in small claims court for the amount charged.

The police won't get involved -- this is more like giving a loan to someone who doesn't pay it back than stealing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">