• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GAL Testimony at trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? WA

Are both sides allowed to depose and question the GAL at trial? If so, is there info that the GAL has that would be confidential and off limits for questioning?

CJane

In MY case, the GAL was not questioned/deposed by anyone.

She was AT all of the depositions and free to ask additional questions to what the attorney's for the parties had asked.

At trial, she questioned both myself and Stupidhead after our attorneys had had their chances to question the both of us.

Then, she gave her recommendation/findings as her closing statement.

In MY state, a GAL is an attorney for the children... they're not parties to the case in that they're allowed to be questioned. They represent the children and speak to the children's best interests. That doesn't leave them open for questioning/cross-examination.

I figured you probably could not and I don't really have any questions for our GAL. Mostly because she is siding with me, so I don't really have reason to question. I am wondering more about the X. It is looking like the X is going to rep himself. I can't believe it, this is a big mistake on his part, headache for myself and my poor attorney is really going to earn his money. Anyway, he is proving himself an idiot just about daily now with all the correspondence to my attny, the GAL etc...I just wanted to know if he would be able to question her in court. I'm already prepping myself for my questioning as well as all my witnesses. It should be a real treat!:rolleyes:

BL

In my state from being in the courtroom and listening to cases , including my girlfriend's', the GAL stands on one side of the room toward the front , in front of a podium like piece of furniture .

The parties and/or their attorneys will testify .

The Judge asked the GAL of what his opinion is .

The Judge will make a ruling .

Maybe not right there and then .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">