• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnish IRA, Unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SkyMaster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

If I loose a civil, debt collection case, can they garnish my IRA?
Can they garnish my unemployment checks?

Rexlan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

If I loose a civil, debt collection case, can they garnish my IRA?
Can they garnish my unemployment checks?
Why don't you borrow from your IRA and pay YOUR debt if it is legitimate ... then no issues? A good plan, yes?

Antigone*

Why don't you borrow from your IRA and pay YOUR debt if it is legitimate ... then no issues? A good plan, yes?
No, not a good plan:eek:

OP, your IRA cannot be garnished. Your unemployment check will not be garnished either. However, the money in your bank account can be levied.

What kind of debt are you talking about, and how much?

SkyMaster

I didn't think tapping my retirement account was a good idea.
I'm broke now; if I tap my retirement account I would be broke later as well.

A credit card is suing me, in county court, for 4 year old debt. They want like $2,300.

Antigone*

I didn't think tapping my retirement account was a good idea.
I'm broke now; if I tap my retirement account I would be broke later as well.

A credit card is suing me, in county court, for 4 year old debt. They want like $2,300.
Okay, so you'll have a judgement, then you contact the judgment creditor to make a payment plan.

Rexlan

Okay, so you'll have a judgement, then you contact the judgment creditor to make a payment plan.
Bad plan ... we always need to pay our legitimate debts. OP is already a bad risk, being broke is self inflicted, and now we want to pile a judgment on top of that ... stupid I think, but what the heck.

I think OP's payment plan is to continue to ignore the debt ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">