• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gender biased

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commentator

I agree with both positions. Having everyone wear the same type clothing is easier, and economically more feasible for most parents. It eliminates the "how nasty is too nasty for school?" and "where did you buy your clothes?" questions in many ways.

But I agree also that skirts, dresses, things that don't as my grandma would say, 'cover your straddle' are not as modest, as easy to get around in, or as weather wise as modest pants type apparel for either sex. I was one of the first teachers to dare to wear a pants suit (remember those awful old polyester beauties?) in the seventies to teach. I was on the floor, on the ball courts, around with the kids, doing lots of activities, and there was no such thing as a modest skirt in those days. They were either maxis or three inches above the kneecap.

But this lady claims she "didn't know" about the requirement. I question that. And if she didn't know, and signed her child up unknowingly, then she certainly has the option to withdraw, not sue.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
New York: Can a school/day care not accept a student because she is not wearing a dress? My daughters school dress code is a dress for girls and pants for boys. They are now threatening to not let her attend if she doesn't wear a dress.
Did you not note what the kids were wearing when you visited the school?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">