• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan

If ex and I have Joint Legal custody with me having physical custody.

Is it my responsibility to inform ex of everything from dr check up, dentist appointments, etc?

Being ex has joint legal he can obtain any of our children's records. I was just curious what I absolutely must inform him about.

Common sense says major issues but where do you draw the line.

Thanks

LdiJ

sofrustrated said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

If ex and I have Joint Legal custody with me having physical custody.

Is it my responsibility to inform ex of everything from dr check up, dentist appointments, etc?

Being ex has joint legal he can obtain any of our children's records. I was just curious what I absolutely must inform him about.

Common sense says major issues but where do you draw the line.

Thanks
Yes, common sense says "major issues"...however unfortunately what's major for one parent isn't necessarily what's major for the other. When it comes to medical/dental issues its probably best to inform your ex of the appointments and to give your ex a short note stating the outcome of the visit (or a short email). If not, then encourage your ex to get the records from the providers a couple of times a year. The same applies with educational issues.

Principal of the school already informed me that they fax my ex everything that I receive. I have been very good about sending him notes about eye appointments etc. He never attends anything anyway.

Always give him copies of sports schedules.

Just wondered if it was my responsibility to inform him of every single minor appt.

LdiJ

sofrustrated said:
Principal of the school already informed me that they fax my ex everything that I receive. I have been very good about sending him notes about eye appointments etc. He never attends anything anyway.

Always give him copies of sports schedules.

Just wondered if it was my responsibility to inform him of every single minor appt.
If he never attends anyway you it would probably be safe to stop sending him messages about appointments. However do keep informing him of the results of the appointments unless its just a "well being" check and everything is ok.

Thanks,

I just figured I would ask because he sent me certified letter complaining that I don't notify him of any events etc. If it isn't one thing its another with him.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My ex complained that I didn't send him stuff, then that the stuff I send him pushed what I felt was important (you know, like school pictures are on X date let me know if you want a set, boy has orthodontic appt on Y date, girl has chorus concert on Z date, girl was nominated for ABC, boy made Honor Roll and so on). So I quit informing him after making sure that he had all the contact info necessary and the school was sending him stuff. And then he filed against me for contempt. Back to sending him everything, short of when they use the toilet.

Ya know - it's just easier to do it than think about whether you should or not.

nextwife

I'm married and I STILL send date reminders and event notices to my husband (so he has them at his office). It's really not that hard. When I enter an appointment, conference, little league schedule, etc. in Outlook (other calender programs can be used) I simply click "invite attendee", type the first few letters of hubbies email and it autofills his full address, and send him an FYI notice of the schedule. It barely takes more time than entering it in the first place.

For a CP,this also provides future proof of notice if needed, provided you retain your "sent" mail.

Could the paper stuff be faxed? I get faxes at home all the time.

Last edited:
My ex won't give me his email address, however he does have mine. The only way I can get information to him and have proof is certified mail.

nextwife

Maybe if you tell him you'd like to email him notices of all the kids events so he can put them on his calender if desired, he would sharte it? He may not be aware that he can even establish a free OTHER email account on Yahoo or Hotmail JUST for you to both communicate, if he wants to keep his primary email private. But then if he fails to check it regularly, that's his problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">