• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting calls for previous owners of tel number

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrowka

What is the name of your state? PA

Is there anything I can do to stop getting calls (about 10 a day) from collection agencies that aren't for me? We've gotten a new tel number in December and it seems that the people who had that number before owe a lot of money because the phone has been ringing constantly. As soon as I explain to one person that we have no idea who these people are, the next person calls. I even included this info in our answering machine greeting and it helped a little, but a lot of calls are either automatically dialed or they simply don't believe it.
Recently the woman who had my number before ordered some service and billed it to my number! I already spoke to the company and they agreed to give me a credit but this is going too far. I've had a third party billing block and a password put on my account but this is annoying!

I am fed up with it and if I can't stop it, I'll have to change my phone number.
Anything else I can do?

justalayman

Mrowka said:
What is the name of your state? PA
I am fed up with it and if I can't stop it, I'll have to change my phone number.
Anything else I can do?
You wrote your own best answer.

Mrowka

yes, yes, I know (sigh)...
but I just went thru changing my tel number to the new one in all the gazillion places where its needed and I'd hate to have to do it all over again.....
my luck....

justalayman

Mrowka said:
yes, yes, I know (sigh)...
but I just went thru changing my tel number to the new one in all the gazillion places where its needed and I'd hate to have to do it all over again.....
my luck....
Ya, life bites sometimes. I would be sure to inform the telcom co. that you do not expect to be charged for this change (if they normally would charge, mine does although it is small amount)

Your post is really kind of funny to me. I have had the same problem for several years. The previous customer with my phone number apparently liked to write bad checks. We got po'd for awhile but the calls have tapered off to nearly nothing. Can't say it was ever as bad as yours though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">