• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting laid off again/ BK

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlc614

What is the name of your state? NY

I am going on Tuesday to sign my BK paperwork and I just found out today that I am being laid off again (second time in 3 months). How is this going to effect my BK....I am filing chapter 7 and have no assets.

bigun

Should have no affect at all. No job, no income so, you sure don't have to worry about having too much disposable income.

HomeGuru

jlc614 said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I am going on Tuesday to sign my BK paperwork and I just found out today that I am being laid off again (second time in 3 months). How is this going to effect my BK....I am filing chapter 7 and have no assets.
**A: on a 7, there is no requirement that you be employed.

jlc614

Thanks for the resposnses. I got lucky and was not one of the people laid off this time. Phew! Unfortunatley 33 of my coworkers were. I actually have another question..my meeting to sign my paperwork was postponed due to a death in my attorney's family. I have not paid any of the creditors because I am filing BK..one is a judgement being collected by the Sheriff...how long would it be before they attached my paycheck??? I just don't want something to happen right before we file...my new appointment is next Monday.

HomeGuru

jlc614 said:
Thanks for the resposnses. I got lucky and was not one of the people laid off this time. Phew! Unfortunatley 33 of my coworkers were. I actually have another question..my meeting to sign my paperwork was postponed due to a death in my attorney's family. I have not paid any of the creditors because I am filing BK..one is a judgement being collected by the Sheriff...how long would it be before they attached my paycheck??? I just don't want something to happen right before we file...my new appointment is next Monday.
**A: what are you talking about? You do not need an appointment to file BK.

JETX

"Sheriff...how long would it be before they attached my paycheck???"
*** If the debt/judgment was included in your bankruptcy, they MIGHT have been noticed of your filing. The reason they MIGHT is that a no asset case does not get 'noticed' to creditors.
If they were noticed, then they cannot start attaching (garnishing) your wages at all.

And if they were not noticed, have your attorney contact them and put them on notice. When you filed, an automatic stay went into place with ALL creditors preventing them from taking any further collection actions.

jlc614

HomeGuru......I have an appointment with my attorney to review the documents before he files them. To make sure if everything is okay with them.

JETX....The papers have not been filed yet so I will make sure my attorney notifies the Sheriff so that I don't have any problems. I did give him the name and the address where I used to send payments. Thank you for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">