• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting less

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beckycsu

What is the name of your state?Alabama
I work for a small business owned by a man. He employs 11 women and 3 men. I have been employed there for 2 years. One of the men has been there as long as i have, while one has been there half as long. They both make more money than i do, and were told not to tell me about it. But i am a much better employee than the two of them. They are consistently late, and do not complete the required work for the day, while i am on time and do my work plus some. I have even been told this by my employer. Is this sexual discrimination or am i just jealous?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It could be either one - there's not enough information to say.

It is NOT legal to pay one person more (or less) BECAUSE OF their gender.

However, it IS legal to pay a man more than a woman, or a woman more than a man, because they have more experience in other companies, more education, more seniority (sounds like that's not the case here though), because they're the friend, brother-in-law, or golfing buddy of the boss, or because one is a better negotiator than the other at the hiring process.

This is not a complete list, but these are some of the more common legal reasons for the kind of disparity you decribe.

Beth3

Nor is it even whether the poster and the two men are all in the same or equivalent positions. Anyway, it's probably all moot. Federal discrimination laws apply to employers with 15 or more employees. Unless Alabama discrimination laws have a lower threshhold, the owner can discriminate all he wishes to.

becky, forget about the two men. There are any number of legal reasons why they are being paid more, even if they're lousy reasons. If you think you are not being paid what you're worth, start looking for a new position elsewhere with compensation equivalent to your position and career experience.

Laurieanne

I guess you'd have to consider previous experience outside of your current employer. If these two guys have more experience with another employer engaged in the same business, that may be why they're getting more pay.

Also take into consideration the educational background.

As far as your employer asking you not to discuss the wages with others, too bad. The NRLA allows this as it is a protected concerted activity; a part of your employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">