• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting separated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nany

What is the name of your state? GA

I've being leaving with my boyfriend since October 2005 and finally we are getting separated. He is telling me that 1/2 off everything is his per GA law, which I think is not true. I bought my house on 2005 and I gave the down payment myself he did not give me a penny. Also since 10/05 to 10/06 he was not working so I was paying everything on the house. On 7/06 I refinanced my house to pay out all my and his CC and loans, etc and he just started to help me financilly since December but not getting even close to what I was contributing on every pay check
Please let me know if everything should be divided on equal parts or if he is just trying to scare me.

Thanks

Just Blue

I've being leaving with my boyfriend since October 2005 and finally we are getting separated. He is telling me that 1/2 off everything is his per GA law, which I think is not true. I bought my house on 2005 and I gave the down payment myself he did not give me a penny. Also since 10/05 to 10/06 he was not working so I was paying everything on the house. On 7/06 I refinanced my house to pay out all my and his CC and loans, etc and he just started to help me financilly since December but not getting even close to what I was contributing on every pay check
Please let me know if everything should be divided on equal parts or if he is just trying to scare me.

Thanks
Is the BF on the DEED to the home?

nextwife

How is the house NOW titled? Was it changed when you refinanced? Are you, alone, now in title?

As to any potential common law marriage, if you and he have only been together since 2005, you would not have a common law marriage, even in GA, cdiscontinued NEW common law marriage creation in their state in 1997.

LdiJ

Thanks
First, is he listed on the deed or the mortgage? If he is listed on the deed, then he is a co-owner of the house and he is entitled to 1/2 of the equity. (and there won't be much after just two years of ownership AND a refi). If he is not listed on the deed, then he was basically your tenant, and he is entitled to nothing.

As far as anything else is concerned, what was yours or his prior to getting together is still yours or his, and whatever each of you bought during the relationship is your own property.

Last edited:

nany

First, is he listed on the deed or the mortgage? If he is listed on the deed, then he is a co-owner of the house and he is entitled to 1/2 of the equity. (and there won't be much after just two years of ownership AND a refi). If he is not listed on the deed, then he was basically your tenant, and he is entitled to nothing.

As far as anything else is concerned, what was yours or his prior to getting together is still yours or his, and whatever each of you bought during the relationship is your own property.
no he is not. It is only on my name.
Thank you all for the advices.

nany

How is the house NOW titled? Was it changed when you refinanced? Are you, alone, now in title?

As to any potential common law marriage, if you and he have only been together since 2005, you would not have a common law marriage, even in GA, cdiscontinued NEW common law marriage creation in their state in 1997.

Yes I am alone in the title.
Thanks

moburkes

Sure I should but what goes around comes around.
I don't know what you mean by that. If you paid them off as a gift, then I am not suggesting that you "retract" that gift. If you were helping him out, and he hasn't paid you back, then I suggest that you get your money back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">