• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gf’s (w/dui) unregistered/uninsured car broken into

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dew93

My girlfriend’s car was broken into and the insurance/registration are expired. She got a dui several years ago and so she doesn’t drive it. It’s just parked. I discovered that the car was broken into today and (like an idiot) without thinking filled a police report. I’m concerned though that I’ve screwed my gf in some way. They didn’t ask for her info, only mine. Car is registered in her name but officer said he’d use my info. Should I be concerned? I am mostly worried about messing up her probation period or any repercussions on her end.

FlyingRon

What state is this? She should of course report the incident to her probation officer if she is on active supervision and she has some interface with the police in the matter. It however should not really present much of a problem. Of course, depending on what state you are in and where the car was parked, the lack of insurance and registration might indeed be citable, but if the officer didn't make an issue on it, he probably won't.

zddoodah

I discovered that the car was broken into today and (like an idiot) without thinking filled a police report.
I'm curious why you think filing a police report regarding a crime makes you an idiot.

Should I be concerned?
About what? Do you have reason to believe the police might suspect that you committed the crime that you reported? That seems unlikely.

I am mostly worried about messing up her probation period or any repercussions on her end.
Probation period for what? You told us that her DUI was "several years ago." Is she still on probation? Was it a second or third (or more) DUI?

The only issue I can see is that it is illegal to keep a car with expired registration other than on private property. However, you didn't tell us where the car was parked at the time of the crime.

Dew93

What state is this? She should of course report the incident to her probation officer if she is on active supervision and she has some interface with the police in the matter. It however should not really present much of a problem. Of course, depending on what state you are in and where the car was parked, the lack of insurance and registration might indeed be citable, but if the officer didn't make an issue on it, he probably won't.
the state is CA, the vehicle was parked on the street. He also didn’t make a big deal about it at all. If he did cite them though, would theycount as a traffic violation and therefore count against her probation? Thanks for the response btw! Much appreciated

Dew93

I'm curious why you think filing a police report regarding a crime makes you an idiot.

About what? Do you have reason to believe the police might suspect that you committed the crime that you reported? That seems unlikely.

Probation period for what? You told us that her DUI was "several years ago." Is she still on probation? Was it a second or third (or more) DUI?

The only issue I can see is that it is illegal to keep a car with expired registration other than on private property. However, you didn't tell us where the car was parked at the time of the crime.
No, it was her first DUI and the probation is up in May. The car was parked on the street in front of our apartment complex.

quincy

Every encounter with the police, no matter how benign, must be reported to the probation officer.

One condition of probation is that ALL laws must be obeyed, and this includes traffic laws.

What you describe might be unlikely to result in your girlfriend’s probation being revoked but, again, it needs to be reported.

LdiJ

Every encounter with the police, no matter how benign, must be reported to the probation officer.

One condition of probation is that ALL laws must be obeyed, and this includes traffic laws.

What you describe might be unlikely to result in your girlfriend’s probation being revoked but, again, it needs to be reported.
She didn't actually have any contact with the police. Only he did. I am not sure that the fact that it was a car she owns that got broken into, count as contact with the police.

If the boyfriend was driving the car and got pulled over, it wouldn't count as contact with the police for her.

zddoodah

No, it was her first DUI and the probation is up in May. The car was parked on the street in front of our apartment complex.
I assume it was the standard three years "informal probation" and that her DUI conviction occurred in May 2018? I think she has little or nothing to worry about here, but getting the car off the public street would be a good idea until the registration is made current.

LdiJ

So ... you believe that the girlfriend will not be contacted by the police? Interesting.
They took a report. Most police departments are simply giving people reports for something like that. However, if someone does contact her (and the OP specifically stated that they took his info, not hers) THEN she would have a contact with the police that for sure would have to be reported.

quincy

They took a report. Most police departments are simply giving people reports for something like that. However, if someone does contact her (and the OP specifically stated that they took his info, not hers) THEN she would have a contact with the police that for sure would have to be reported.
It was the girlfriend’s car that was broken into and it was the girlfriend’s registration and insurance that was expired. It is almost a given that the girlfriend will be contacted. When she is, the contact with the police should be reported to her probation officer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect that the biggest fear is that it may appear that the OP filed the report as a way for his GF to avoid contact with the police. I believe there is a fear that this tactic will somehow lead to the GF getting in trouble for this avoidance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">