• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

going to be sued. what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uther

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? pennsylvania

Good Morning.

About 2years ago my parnter and I started building a custom vehicle for a customer . And my partner began some time ago to dissapear for weeks at a time, sometime for over a month. all this time I had been working. Now all the work has been done at my partners facility . And it has come to the point where the project can not be finished as my parnter doesn't want to work he doesn't want work being done when he is not working at the same time and I can't do it on my own.

I have no legal agreement with my partner ( thank goodness as I just found out he owes 80k to the IRS)

The customer never wanted a contract and only paid in cash and would not takke a receipt . All parts were paid on their credit card.

I contacted the customer and explained my position . I'm quite sure I'll be getting sued. But what can I do to prepare and or to protect my self.

Dave1952

You may wish to speak with a lawyer about this. Your post does not provide much detail about your problems.
Is this partner a business partner?
Who did the customer hire to do this project?
Your partner has the facilities to do this project but you do not. What? Why? How?
This really sounds like a romantic break up more than a business problem.

Good luck

uther

dave1952 thanks for your witty reply and advice.

Business partner . Never anything in writing , but yes business partner.
My partner that has a shop that we were working out of. Has decided to call it quits and doen't want to work on the clients vehicle . Which leaves me and the customer kinda stuck.

Dave1952

Ok, you have a very informal business partnership. What that means is that you guys may be sued personally by the customer. You do have a contract with the customer though it's a verbal contract. Whether your partner also has a contract with the customer isn't clear.
For now, look for a new shop. Try to continue the work if you are capable. If you are notified of a suit get a lawyer. In many places Community Colleges offer courses on business. Take them if you want to be in business.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">