• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a ticket from an EX-State Trooper!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maestro64

Exactly...he is retired and needs to let it go.
My son is going to file a complaint on the ex-trooper for his road rage gestures...after all, he let go of the steering wheel and "almost" caused an accident.
Actually, I think this would pretty much guaranty he will show up to your son's hearing.

Roo

I agree that the son's driving (based on OP's post) was clearly out of line and dangerous.
What I don't understand is the "almost caused an accident" part.
There's no mention of evasive action to avoid an accident.
How would one define 'almost' to the court?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree that the son's driving (based on OP's post) was clearly out of line and dangerous.
What I don't understand is the "almost caused an accident" part.
There's no mention of evasive action to avoid an accident.
How would one define 'almost' to the court?
I'm thinking the he perhaps cut another driver off...not the retired trooper

cyjeff

If your son reports the trooper... Even if the ex trooper did something that would warrant a ticket of his/her own, that would not lessen your son's situation a bit.

Frequently, all parties involved may be ticketed....

CdwJava

Your assuming.....he did not cut anyone off.
So he claimed to you. You are assuming as well. That's why the only two people with any relevant statements to be made at court will be the ex trooper and your son. The judge will then decide who is the more credible and whether the statements indicate a violation of the section cited.

- Carl

NotEvenADime

So he claimed to you. You are assuming as well. That's why the only two people with any relevant statements to be made at court will be the ex trooper and your son. The judge will then decide who is the more credible and whether the statements indicate a violation of the section cited.

- Carl
Thank you..yes I am aware of that.

cyjeff

I am really curious about all the hostility from you, OP.

You sound like the extrooper calling a cop bothers you more than your son's behavior bothers you.

Why is that?

I am not asking to be mean or snarky.... I am just curious.

NotEvenADime

I am really curious about all the hostility from you, OP.

You sound like the extrooper calling a cop bothers you more than your son's behavior bothers you.

Why is that?

I am not asking to be mean or snarky.... I am just curious.
Because he is an EX trooper and they only gave him the ticket because the EX trooper wanted him to have one....and I'm also hostile because of the way that everyone is viewing an 18 yr old boy as a reckless driver...you don't know my son and you don't know what kind of a driver he is....everyone "assumes" because he is 18. If the EX trooper wanted to continue patrolling, then he should have never retired!

CdwJava

Because he is an EX trooper and they only gave him the ticket because the EX trooper wanted him to have one....and I'm also hostile because of the way that everyone is viewing an 18 yr old boy as a reckless driver...you don't know my son and you don't know what kind of a driver he is....everyone "assumes" because he is 18. If the EX trooper wanted to continue patrolling, then he should have never retired!
It is equally as likely that had your son's driving been safe or even just "dumb" he would have blown it off. Unless this guy is constantly reporting driver's it is very possible that the ex trooper was truly concerned by your son's driving and thought it important that he be called to task. Since he likely responded to scrape up the remains of dozens or even hundreds of youth in his career, I am not at all surprised that he might be concerned by what he views as reckless driving.

I think what boils some of us is that you are so willing to assume that your teenager is the paragon of virtue when it comes to driving when the statistics just do not bear that out. Maybe he was. maybe the ex trooper is just a crotchity old man. But, it is just as likely that your son committed a reckless act and got caught.

- Carl

NotEvenADime

Also, if my son was driving so "reckless" then why was the ex-trooper able to clearly identify the plates and give a description of my son? He drove up beside him and flip him the finger...which would leave the steering wheel free of his hands....and so that's ok??

CdwJava

Also, if my son was driving so "reckless" then why was the ex-trooper able to clearly identify the plates and give a description of my son? He drove up beside him and flip him the finger...which would leave the steering wheel free of his hands....and so that's ok??
You need two hands to flip someone off? That's new to me.

Plus, I have been able to read the license plate of vehicles I have been engaging through traffic at nearly 100 MPH ... it can be done. Considering this was not what is being alleged, I imagine he managed to catch up and get the plate and saw the driver when he looked over at the person passing in the wrong lane.

If the ex trooper drove poorly, that's no excuse, but that's a separate issue from your son's alleged bad driving.

Do you truly believe that your son can do no wrong, or is there some other bias or motive here? Are you unable to acknowledge even the possibility that your son may have actually made an unsafe lane change and pass traffic in an unsafe manner? :confused:

- Carl

Antigone*

Why don't you show up at sonny's hearing and give that ex-trooper a piece of your mind in front of the judge. Anything short of that isn't going to be good enough for you.

You're stuck and nothing we say on an internet forum is going to change your opinion.

NotEvenADime

Why don't you show up at sonny's hearing and give that ex-trooper a piece of your mind in front of the judge. Anything short of that isn't going to be good enough for you.

You're stuck and nothing we say on an internet forum is going to change your opinion.
Your right and that's what I plan on doing. Thanks.

NotEvenADime

You need two hands to flip someone off? That's new to me.

Plus, I have been able to read the license plate of vehicles I have been engaging through traffic at nearly 100 MPH ... it can be done. Considering this was not what is being alleged, I imagine he managed to catch up and get the plate and saw the driver when he looked over at the person passing in the wrong lane.

If the ex trooper drove poorly, that's no excuse, but that's a separate issue from your son's alleged bad driving.

Do you truly believe that your son can do no wrong, or is there some other bias or motive here? Are you unable to acknowledge even the possibility that your son may have actually made an unsafe lane change and pass traffic in an unsafe manner? :confused:

- Carl
My son did nothing wrong...end of story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">