• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got pulled over in michigan, and friend of mine got arrested on warrant from canada, help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spaceweathet

I'm in michigan, me and my friend are both U.S citizens and long ago my friend got in trouble in windsor ,canada. He got a assault charge, bonded out and had a court date there. Well he forgot about it. So today me and my friend gets pulled over in grand rapids, cop runs my friends info and the warrant in from canada popped up and he got arrested. Now I found he that canada does want him extradited and they are going through the procedure.

Is this even legal? Why are u.s citizens allowed to be extradited to canada? I don't understand, what can I do?

Just Blue

I'm in michigan, me and my friend are both U.S citizens and long ago my friend got in trouble in windsor ,canada. He got a assault charge, bonded out and had a court date there. Well he forgot about it. So today me and my friend gets pulled over in grand rapids, cop runs my friends info and the warrant in from canada popped up and he got arrested. Now I found he that canada does want him extradited and they are going through the procedure.

Is this even legal? Why are u.s citizens allowed to be extradited to canada? I don't understand, what can I do?
There is nothing you can do unless you are a licensed attorney... which, based on your posting, I am guessing you are not. And yes. Of course this is legal and should have been expected.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Darn them international treaties.

adjusterjack

zddoodah

Is this even legal?
Of course it is.

Why are u.s citizens allowed to be extradited to canada?
For the same reason that Canadian citizens who come to the United States and commit crimes and then return to Canada can be extradited to the U.S. The two countries that share the largest land border on the planet obviously want to maintain good relations, and harboring criminals is antithetical to a good relationship.

what can I do?
This has nothing to do with you, but you're free to offer your friend financial support (e.g., to help him pay for an attorney) and/or moral/emotional support.

quincy

Here is a link to the Treaty on Extradition Between the Government of Canada and the Government of the United States of America: https://www.treaty-accord.gc.ca/text-texte.aspx?id=101323

If your friend committed a crime in Canada that would also be considered a crime in Michigan, and the penalty upon conviction of this crime would be/could be a year or more in jail in both countries, your friend can be/will be extradited.

Your friend will want to speak to a lawyer in Detroit/Windsor.

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Is this even legal?
Yes.

Why are u.s citizens allowed to be extradited to canada?
Because our countries have agreed to help each other this way. The death penalty isn't on the table.

I don't understand, what can I do?
1) You can research how to retain legal help in Canada.

2) You can forward the information you obtain to your friend.

3) You can contact friends and family to help you friend pay for his legal defense.

4) And in order to "understand", you can read. Go to your public library's reference desk. While there is a lot of good information on the internet, there is even more misleading (at best), so ask for help finding reputable sources.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
It's quite legal. The U.S. and Canada have an extradition treaty that obligates each nation to extradite those wanted by the other for crimes that are similar in each country, which would include assault. About all you can do to help your friend is pay for a defense lawyer if Canada doesn't appoint one for him. Apart from that, he created the problem and now he has to deal with the consequences.

quincy

Another fun fact for our international traveler: If you are a U.S. citizen and have committed a crime in the U.S, Canada can deny you entry into their country. Border agents will stop you at the bridge, tunnel or ferry crossing, turn you around, and send you back home.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The U.S. can do the same thing, too, barring foriegn travelers convicted of crimes in their home country from entering the U.S. Of course, the U.S. has to know about the conviction first. For U.S. travelers going to Canada, the most common crime that gets them barred from entering Canada is apparently DUI offenses. Even if you've already completed all of your U.S. sentence for the offense, Canada may still keep you out. Yet another reason for not drinking and driving, at least if you like international travel.

quincy

… For U.S. travelers going to Canada, the most common crime that gets them barred from entering Canada is apparently DUI offenses. …
Reasons why a U.S. citizen can be denied entry into Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/reasons.html

Canadian border agents have access to the FBI criminal database (NCIC) which links to all federal, tribal, state and local law enforcement agencies in the U.S.. Because DUIs are considered serious crimes in Canada, with sentences on conviction of up to 10 years in jail, having a DUI conviction show up on your criminal history report can/will result in denial of entry.

At the Detroit/Windsor crossings recently, it has been drug smuggling rather than alcohol offenses that are causing the most problems. Some smugglers try to cross the Detroit River by small boat, hoping to evade detection, but the River is also well-patrolled as are the River banks.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
At the Detroit/Windsor crossings recently, it has been drug smuggling rather than alcohol offenses that are causing the most problems. Some smugglers try to cross the Detroit River by small boat, hoping to evade detection, but the River is also well-patrolled as are the River banks.
That seems odd to me. I can understand the actual smuggling itself being a big problem on the border (though I'd guess the border with Mexico sees far more drug smuggling). But I wouldn't think there are nearly as many people with drug smuggling convictions trying to enter Canada as there are people with DUI convictions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">