• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmother died

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Friday's Child

What is the name of your state? She lived in North Carolina

My grandmother died on June 7th. She had two children, one was my father, and the other is my aunt that lives in Georgia. My grandmother's will states that my dad and my aunt are co-executors (50/50) of my grandmother's estate. My father has lived next door to his mom for all of his adult life. My aunt came up and was here the last week or so of her life. My aunt said to another family member that she did not want my dad or any of his family in Grannie's house. Ater her death, the day of the funeral, they went to the courthouse to try to get things rolling with the will. There were emotions, and they decided not to finish things up that day. My aunt said that Grannie had wanted her to handle everything, but it is clearly not stated that way in her will, so my mother spoke up about it.
My aunt and her family stayed in my grandmother's house, alone, (no one from our side of the family was present, so a lot of things may have already walked out of the house). When they left, they came over and told my dad that they had changed the locks on the door. He did not consent to this, and he does not have a key to the house or the car or anything. I have tried to tell him that she had no right to do that without giving him a key, I mean her lives NEXT DOOR for God's sake, and she is in GEORGIA. I think that he needs to get a lawyer, and I am trying to convince him so that she does not have things done solely the way she thinks they should be done. What would be the best course of action for him to take?

Dad needs to get a lawyer and open up the probate proceedings.

It would be worth Dad trying to have a conversation with his sister to see if they can hire a lawyer together to go through this process as an attempt to save family unity. If that doesn't go well, Dad needs to move forward.

However, since both Dad and sister are co-executors, they are going to have to work together, or they will both end up with lawyers who will have to work together, at increased cost to the family.

JETX

What would be the best course of action for him to take?
He has two choices:
1) Contact a local locksmith and gain access to the property, or
2) Get a local attorney to file with the probate court to allow access.

Either way, the FIRST thing he should do is to enter the property and videotape EVERYTHING. Open every drawer and videotape. Open every room and videotape. Take tape of EVERYTHING.... jewelry, vehicles, china, furniture, etc. Also, look for any important

And you are probably right... you will find that half (or more) of her assets walked out with your aunt. He should NEVER have allowed her unfettered access to the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">