• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandparent seeking custody asap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paf1942

Hoping I could get some help with my situation at hand, my family and I are in desparate need of advice. My daughter at 46 years old passed suddenly 3 weeks ago leaving two daughters behind 26 and 11. The father of the 11 year old is still married to my daughter but had abandoned them more than 5 years earlier with no contact. He has a criminal backround including jail time and 4 other abandoned children in Florida and Pennsylvania. He was abusive and violent throughout the marriage until he actually did leave them with no contact and tried to remarry other women. The state of florida did bring against him bigomy charges however he was able to get an extension and have an annulment done before he could face serious charges. He explained that he had thought he was divorced. He had signed notarized documents saying he gave up a house in lue of child support and custody of my 11 year old grandaughter. Now that my daughter has passed I have tried to go the correct route in applying for guardianship. After all these years he has now stepped forward saying he wont be granting me guardianship. As recently as the end of january this year he was in jail for fraud. His 4 other children have not heard from him in 10+ years. He is now emailing saying he will be getting guardianship not me. I am desparate now and in need of good advice or help for this situation. The well being of my grandchild is on the line.

Isis1

What state was mom and child living in when she passed? Had she beenthere for longer than 6 months? What state are you living in?

LdiJ

Hoping I could get some help with my situation at hand, my family and I are in desparate need of advice. My daughter at 46 years old passed suddenly 3 weeks ago leaving two daughters behind 26 and 11. The father of the 11 year old is still married to my daughter but had abandoned them more than 5 years earlier with no contact. He has a criminal backround including jail time and 4 other abandoned children in Florida and Pennsylvania. He was abusive and violent throughout the marriage until he actually did leave them with no contact and tried to remarry other women. The state of florida did bring against him bigomy charges however he was able to get an extension and have an annulment done before he could face serious charges. He explained that he had thought he was divorced. He had signed notarized documents saying he gave up a house in lue of child support and custody of my 11 year old grandaughter. Now that my daughter has passed I have tried to go the correct route in applying for guardianship. After all these years he has now stepped forward saying he wont be granting me guardianship. As recently as the end of january this year he was in jail for fraud. His 4 other children have not heard from him in 10+ years. He is now emailing saying he will be getting guardianship not me. I am desparate now and in need of good advice or help for this situation. The well being of my grandchild is on the line.
I agree with the other poster, get an attorney immediately. Do not try to do this without one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">