• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents in the school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? WA

Does a custodial parent have the right to prevent the grandparent from volunteering any further at the kids school? I have custody, and sole decision making in medical,religion, and education. In our final verdict the grandparents attorney asked that the grandmother be able to continue to volunteer at the school. The judge said it was the fathers decision. My concern is that the school will allow grandmother to continue even over my objections. Do I as a parent have the right to be able to block the grandmother? Grandmother is a career educator, and is fitting right in with the teachers at the kids school. They have emails going back and forth and speak on the phone. I had to deal with their inteference at the last school, how do I stop it here?

LdiJ

Does a custodial parent have the right to prevent the grandparent from volunteering any further at the kids school? I have custody, and sole decision making in medical,religion, and education. In our final verdict the grandparents attorney asked that the grandmother be able to continue to volunteer at the school. The judge said it was the fathers decision. My concern is that the school will allow grandmother to continue even over my objections. Do I as a parent have the right to be able to block the grandmother? Grandmother is a career educator, and is fitting right in with the teachers at the kids school. They have emails going back and forth and speak on the phone. I had to deal with their inteference at the last school, how do I stop it here?
You can block the grandmother from having access to your child at the school. That would stop the grandmother from being able to volunteer in your child's classroom, but you might not be able to stop the grandmother from volunteering at the school entirely.

Go and have a calm and quiet discussion with the principal at the school. Make your wishes clearly known and insist that they be honored. If they are not, then consider moving schools again.

nextwife

What type of custody does dad have? I'm not sure, IF dad has joint legal, that he is not permitted to GRANT access to his child by his parent. Could dad block access to, say, Mom's mom? Just asking.

Many of my daughter's classmates have grandparents involved and attending many school functions. My daughter is one of the few who does NOT (because hers are all now deceased).

If they are not, then consider moving schools again.
THAT might require dad's permission or a court order, depending upon their custody and what the orders state.

LdiJ

What type of custody does dad have? I'm not sure, IF dad has joint legal, that he is not permitted to GRANT access to his child by his parent. Could dad block access to, say, Mom's mom? Just asking.

Many of my daughter's classmates have grandparents involved and attending many school functions. My daughter is one of the few who does NOT (because hers are all now deceased).

THAT might require dad's permission or a court order, depending upon their custody and what the orders state.
Actually, the OP is dad...not mom.

I think it's probably the schools decision as to who volunteers and who doesn't, but it's definately your decision as to who has access to your kids. I agree that you should sit down with the administrators and explain the situation and make it very clear that she is not not have access to your kids, so no library, lunchroom, media room etc. No place where your kids might go. If they disagree, then file a grievance with the school district board or the superintendant.

Did these people get any visitation? Is there a mom somewhere with visitation?

Blue

Did these people get any visitation? Is there a mom somewhere with visitation?
The grandparents tried for visitation, but the judge was very clear. The judge stated the following

.Certainly
7 at the times that the children are with their mother,
8 those would be the times the children are going to
9 visit with their grandparents and with their aunts,
10 with their extended family without any interference by
11 Mr.FITFatherof2 . I want to say, on the other hand, those
12 will be the only times that the extended family will
13 have time afforded with the children.

Mom has EOW and a month in the summer. I wish that their mother would come and volunteer at the school but she is unable to do so. I would never try and stop that.

WA_DAD

FITFatherof2

You absolutely have every right to limit contact with anyone you wish, except for the non-custodial parent. Especially in WA State. You will have to talk with the principal and make sure your wishes are "Clear" If they are harassing you, or your children you might want to think about an Antiharassment Protection Order. It can be done!

M

meanmike

how is grandma interfering?

volenterring at the school is not interference. how are they interfering?

Bay1954

Of course they may volunteer at the school BUT parents have a right to restrict volunteers from interacting with their children. As Laura cited, the GPS may volunteer in general but, at the request of a parent, said volunteer may be refrained from interacting and volunteering with a particular child.

fairisfair

Of course they may volunteer at the school BUT parents have a right to restrict volunteers from interacting with their children. As Laura cited, the GPS may volunteer in general but, at the request of a parent, said volunteer may be refrained from interacting and volunteering with a particular child.
Funny, I am not so sure that she will be thrilled to have her name used here. This isn't expert law. LOL

Just Blue

Bay...Don't bother responding to Kelly (meanmike)...It is a troll ....;)

For hints on how to determine a Kelly post click on the link below:

http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=169615&highlight=carriesguy

LdiJ

It's been used before...Rmet used to use her name all the time....But even then I don't think she was too thrilled about it.
Bay1954 is a personal friend of mine, so its natural that she used my name. I no longer have the same level of concern about my name being used here that I used to have.

Thanks to all of you that took the time to reply. I am going to make an appointment with the new principal that is coming in to the school. I did not respond to "meanmike" because it was obvious he/she was looking to argue the point for the grandparents without knowing any details of my case. Thanks again.

Rushia

Thanks to all of you that took the time to reply. I am going to make an appointment with the new principal that is coming in to the school. I did not respond to "meanmike" because it was obvious he/she was looking to argue the point for the grandparents without knowing any details of my case. Thanks again.
"meanmike" was most likely our forum troll, Kelly. If you'll notice the poster doesn't belong to the forum anymore.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">