• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents providing child suport??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcpmp

What is the name of your state? Washington
I know that this will be a little out there but I'm going to post it anyways and I'll try to word it so it makes sense. About 5 years ago my sister in-law divorced her husband. When they went to court for custody her parents stated that they would take responsiblity for her finacial means since she didn't have anything after leaving her husband. The court used the parents income as hers and awared custody to the mother and the father was to pay child support. Now my childs mother is living with her parents and hasn't paid child support for over 2 years. Here is my question;
1. If she trys to say that her parents are supporting her financially and she still loses will the court ask the grandparents to pay child support since they said they support her? A yes or no answer will surfice.

JETX

Depends on what EXACTLY the support order says. If it only says that SHE pays, then her parents cannot be held liable.... even if they had a previous agreement to do so with her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">