• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandparents rights/In Loco Parentis

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ariel

I need help! My parents have sued me for primary custody of my daughter. I had my daughter when I was in college. Since I had to be away for two months, during the week only, I signed an In Loco Parentis in case of emergencies. This was back in 1991. My daughter has always lived with me and I have always had custody of her. I lived close to my parents and they did continue to play a major factor in her life. I did not petition to revoke the In Loco Parentis since my daughter lived with me and in case of a medical emergency, they could sign in my place. Now they are stating they have been In Loco Parentis of my daughter all this time. Although she has not resided with them. I have spent over 6,000 dollars fighting this case. So far, their layer still contends that they have standing. We will be going to court soon but, my lawyer has not found too much about the limitations of In loco Parentis. If anyone has information that can help us on In Loco Parentis or Grandparnets Rights we would be very greatful!

T

Tigres

I have a few questions that may help you. Starting with, where are you? (If I missed the state name again, I'm sorry!) How old is your daughter now. How long ago did you sign this? If your child is in school/daycare, can you get people from there to be witness to with whom the child resides and to the level of participation from the grandparents vs yourself?

Oh, and my personal curiosity demands that I ask what you did or didn't do that ticked them off so badly? (Not blaming you, just wondering what triggered this!)

Tig

------------------
I am not a lawyer. Any information relayed is merely my own experience or research.
In Egypt, Cats were once worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

"PRINCESS, HAVING HAD SUFFICIENT EXPERIENCE WITH PRINCES,SEEKS FROG."

A

Ariel

I got married to a gentleman in the miliary. We had to move out of the state PA. I got a better paying job in our new state. My parents attempted to do EVERYTHING to stop me from getting married. Until custody can be heard, MY PARENTS WERE AWARDED TEMPORARY CUSTODY, since I HAD to leave the state for my job. My parents are NOT claiming neglect or abuse. That would not hold up in court for a minute. That is why they are going the "In Loco Parentis" route.
P.S. It also doesn't hurt that the origional judge assigned to the case has been playing basketball with my father everyday for the past 5 years. AND the second judge assigned, after the first one was forced to admit to a conflict of intested, CALLED MY PARENTS HOUSE AND SPOKE TO THEM THE DAY AFTER HIS JUDGEMENT. I would of never knowN this but, he also spoke to my daughter as well. She informed me of the conversation. I informed my lawyer of all of this and questioned if what he did was legal. (considering he IS to be unbias and WILL be presiding on the custody case). My lawyer told me NOT to make an issue of it because it may "make him angry". My big question is "WHERE ARE MY RIGHTS?!" OH, My daughter is 9.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">