• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Green card as ID for credit check questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rowz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Greetings & thank you for your interest and input.

The question is for my friend.

She has a single family home that she is seeking to rent.

A family has applied and their situation is somewhat out of the ordinary.

A background/credit check is about to be ordered.

The question is about the husband. He is Lebanese, with a passport from that country.
He has also provided a greencard as an additional form of identification.
He has no Social Security # either. Is this common for those with a green card?

The query is about the credit/background check for him.

What information [if any] is likely to be uncovered by the report?

Is there anything special that should be done in doing this background investigation?

Thank you for your input.

RowZWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

candg918

A Social Security number is required to work legally for anyone - even non-citizens. How do they claim to be obtaining the funds to pay the rent?

woodykas

A Social Security number is required to work legally for anyone - even non-citizens. How do they claim to be obtaining the funds to pay the rent?
It is not so clear. This guy can work remotely for Lebanon without any problems. He cannot work in USA for USA based employer without SSN.

rowz

First of all, many thanks to those that took the time to reply.

Sigh.....this could complicate matters.

The family consists of husband, wife, her Mother and 2 young girls.

Wife is US citizen, born and raised here, as is her Mother.
Mother has never been out of USA.

Husband born in Lebanon.

Wife is decently employed and that has been verified.
Her Mom has Social Security. Between the 2 there is suffucient income.

He states that he was "in business" over there and hopes to find employment here.

They have been back in the USA for 4 months and the wife has been employed since 3 weeks after their arrival.

So, am I to understand that a SS# comes with, or at least at the same time as a green card?

Is there any way to tell if said green card is a phony?

Is there some database/company/Agency that can tell me if the person is legitimate?

They seem decent enough but I am trying to help my friend to make intelligent choices.

Once again, many thanks for your interest.

candg918

Marriage to a citizen is one of the best was to obtain a green card (see Times Square bombing suspect stories).

Was he educated or has he ever worked in the US? If he initially came on a student visa and remained to work on a training program, he should have a SSN. Some students - those authorized to work - also have SSNs. He could have an ITIN number issued to non-citizens who have not had work authorization.

If he has no work or education history, his work options are going to be limited at this time due to the large number of highly qualified citizens and long term residents who are US educated and have a verifiable work history. What is the likelihood that he can obtain work in his field in the area? Most people find a job for the primary earner and then rent - not vice versa.

Realistically, since wife's income alone is not sufficient to support the family and they have not lived with the mother until recently, can she reasonably expect the combined income to continue long term?

I would suggest that should she decide to rent to them that she should be extremely aggressive about enforcing the provisions of the rental contract and be prepared to start eviction proceedings if they miss even one payment.

Last edited:

rowz

candg918

thanks.

your "aggressive" comment echoes, almost verbatim the attorney/tenant court judge whom my friend knows that she consulted a couple of months ago.

Also, he let her know that choosing a tenant, despite ones best efforts is [and I quote] sweety, its a crap shoot, a damn crap shoot. over 20 years on the bench and thats the best I can tell you. There is no sure thing".

so...there we have it.

evcalyptos

First of all, many thanks to those that took the time to reply.

Sigh.....this could complicate matters.

The family consists of husband, wife, her Mother and 2 young girls.

Wife is US citizen, born and raised here, as is her Mother.
Mother has never been out of USA.

Husband born in Lebanon.

Wife is decently employed and that has been verified.
Her Mom has Social Security. Between the 2 there is suffucient income.

He states that he was "in business" over there and hopes to find employment here.

They have been back in the USA for 4 months and the wife has been employed since 3 weeks after their arrival.

So, am I to understand that a SS# comes with, or at least at the same time as a green card?

Is there any way to tell if said green card is a phony?

Is there some database/company/Agency that can tell me if the person is legitimate?

They seem decent enough but I am trying to help my friend to make intelligent choices.

Once again, many thanks for your interest.
#1, yes renting is a crap shoot, every time. A credit check is a good idea, but it's only one idea. These tenants don't sound like a bad pick just based on what you say.

It could be that the new immigrant (and his US citizen spouse) simply don't know the ropes. It's not as intuitive as it seems to us.
If the guy has a green card, and is a permanent resident (which could be likely based on what you've posted..IE via marriage) and has just arrived in the past four months, he might not have applied for his SSN.. he would be eligible for one as an LPR (green card/Legal Permanent Resident).

The question is: what reason did they give that he doesn't have an SSN?

Having had an immigrant spouse, I'm sympathetic to newcomers. I've had good luck with the 2 couples I've rented to, and they appreciated my understanding of their unique credit/job situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">