• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardian Wants to Deny Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plaintired

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
What can a legal guardian do if the wish to DENY any monetary child support from the child's father? The father provides money to the child, just not through the courts, plus he provides insurance coverage. The process was started by Family Services and they want to garnish the father's check for child support, but I DO NOT WANT IT! Short of being out a load of cash for an attorney, what can I do? Would a certified letter stating that I do not want the child support and that the father already provides insurance do any good? If so, I'm not sure what to put in the letter to make them back off once and for all. Thank you for any help you can give.

Silverplum

What can a legal guardian do if the wish to DENY any monetary child support from the child's father? The father provides money to the child, just not through the courts, plus he provides insurance coverage. The process was started by Family Services and they want to garnish the father's check for child support, but I DO NOT WANT IT! Short of being out a load of cash for an attorney, what can I do? Would a certified letter stating that I do not want the child support and that the father already provides insurance do any good? If so, I'm not sure what to put in the letter to make them back off once and for all. Thank you for any help you can give.
No, a letter would do no good.

Antigone*

Who are you and where is mom?

mistoffolees

So I'm going to have to retain a lawyer to get them to back off? Great.....
No, it can be done without a lawyer if you take the time to learn the court procedures and rules.

HOWEVER, there's an easier way. When you get the check, return the money to him. No muss, no fuss.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have you (or any prior guardian of the child) ever been on public assistance based on said child?

CSO286

Have you (or any prior guardian of the child) ever been on public assistance based on said child?
Actually I am surprised that wasn't the first question....

Family services doesn't "just start" the hcild support process. they have to either be asked to do so by one of the parties, or get a referral from public assistance to open a case on behalf of the the cp and state.

mistoffolees

Actually I am surprised that wasn't the first question....

Family services doesn't "just start" the child support process. they have to either be asked to do so by one of the parties, or get a referral from public assistance to open a case on behalf of the the cp and state.
Good point. I didn't really consider that because OP said "I do not want the child support" so I assumed it was going to her.

In any event, whether that's the situation or not, OP can simply return any money that is sent to him/her. If the state is keeping a portion, there's nothing anyone can do about that part, but OP is certainly free to return the rest.

nextwife

Has the father's contribution been disclosed to this agency? That he is and has been paying CS directly and that he is and has been providing insurance?

To whom is he paying CS, and who filed for CS or assistance?

Silverplum

Legal guardian. Birth mother (not mom) is out of the picture...chooses drugs over child. Judge awarded guardianship to me because father was in the same shape as mother at the time, but he's clean now and back in child's life.
Okay.

So, if you wish, you can receive the CS and then hand Dad the money right back.

CSO286

Legal guardian. Birth mother (not mom) is out of the picture...chooses drugs over child. Judge awarded guardianship to me because father was in the same shape as mother at the time, but he's clean now and back in child's life.
Are you now or have you ever been on any kind of public assistance with/for the child?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">