• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardian's attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

3Caiques

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

When someone is appointed a legal guardian, is it a requirement that they retain an attorney throughout the duration of that guardianship? Or can the attorney be let go once the guardian has completed all the initial paperwork required by the court?

I ask this because my sister was recently appointed legal guardian of our 83-year-old Alzheimer's-stricken mother. After filing the initial inventory and plan with the court, she "fired" the attorney who had represented her during the guardianship process. I was under the impression that as guardian, she had to keep an attorney on retainer until our mother died or she terminated the guardianship in favor or someone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">