• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had a House Fire, total loss, Alarm Company won't let me out of my contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lehighluke

PA

I'll make it short and sweet.
I had a house fire 2 months ago, it was bad. Total Loss, everything I own is gone, my pets died.
Decided not to move back after its rebuilt, selling the house, we (wife and I) will start over somewhere new.
All of the utilities were cancelled, including my cable company who I had a contract with. They saw no problem in releasing me given the DISASTER that I experienced.
My Alarm company (Vivint) keeps billing me, 2 months so far, $45/mo, and said they CANNOT cancel my contract (ie WILL NOT). They offered a deferment for 6 months, but I think we will be moving to a city condo where there is no need for an alarm system, further, that won't be for after 6 months from now (in temp housing provided by insurance). Yeah, there is a contract, but profiteering in the face of a personal tragedy like this is just wrong. Is there anything I can do to get out of this, I might have another 2 or 3 years left...I just renewed a few months prior.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
PA

I'll make it short and sweet.
I had a house fire 2 months ago, it was bad. Total Loss, everything I own is gone, my pets died.
Decided not to move back after its rebuilt, selling the house, we (wife and I) will start over somewhere new.
All of the utilities were cancelled, including my cable company who I had a contract with. They saw no problem in releasing me given the DISASTER that I experienced.
My Alarm company (Vivint) keeps billing me, 2 months so far, $45/mo, and said they CANNOT cancel my contract (ie WILL NOT). They offered a deferment for 6 months, but I think we will be moving to a city condo where there is no need for an alarm system, further, that won't be for after 6 months from now (in temp housing provided by insurance). These people are scumbags honestly, yeah, there is a contract, but profiteering in the face of a personal tragedy like this is just wrong. Is there anything I can do to get out of this, I might have another 2 or 3 years left...I just renewed a few months prior.
What does the contract say? They should be willing to furnish you a copy of it. :cool:

Lehighluke

What does the contract say? They should be willing to furnish you a copy of it. :cool:
I lost the contract I had, along with everything else in the fire. I cannot find it online. I am sure it says something like the contracts are non-cancellable, regardless of any situation. They said to me something like we can't cancel in the event of fire or damage. These companies (I now found) are notorious for not letting go of their monthly payments. I understood the spirit of it to be "I just can't decide to change my mind whether I want the service"...this is not what happened. I wonder if they are doing this to all of the poor victims of Hurricane Sandy?

It just makes no sense, and the curt. reps I speak to are like robots, they just keep saying "I'm sorry, but we can deferr for you"...and..."there is nothing I can do, we can't just cancel the contract"....like its the same thing as saying we can't just dig a hole to the center of the Earth. -WHY- can't they? Trying to make a buck on my misfortune. Billing me even though they no I have no ability to use their service. Trust me, I WISH I still had my house with my nice alarm system...

Is there NO DISASTER that could EVER be an exception to their policy? Whatever happened to doing whats right, and helping out a person in need?

Last edited:

Silverplum

I lost the contract I had, along with everything else in the fire. I cannot find it online. I am sure it says something like the contracts are non-cancellable, regardless of any situation. They said to me something like we can't cancel in the event of fire or damage. These companies (I now found) are notorious for not letting go of their monthly payments. I understood the spirit of it to be "I just can't decide to change my mind whether I want the service"...this is not what happened. I wonder if they are doing this to all of the poor victims of Hurricane Sandy?

It just makes no sense, and the curt. reps I speak to are like robots, they just keep saying "I'm sorry, but we can deferr for you"...and..."there is nothing I can do, we can't just cancel the contract"....like its the same thing as saying we can't just dig a hole to the center of the Earth. -WHY- can't they?...because they are inhuman greedy pricks. Sociopaths. Trying to make a buck on my misfortune. Billing me even though they no I have no ability to use their service. Trust me, I WISH I still had my house with my nice alarm system...

Is there NO DISASTER that could EVER be an exception to their policy? Whatever happened to doing whats right, and helping out a person in need?
When asking volunteers for their help, you may wish to show a little respect and restrict your language to words that are not offensive.

:rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Honestly, you were fine with this contract when you signed it (and then even renewed it) I understand you are frustrated, but I don't agree that the alarm company is the big-bad guy in this. They are offering a deferment - I suspect they don't even have to do that.

Lehighluke

When asking volunteers for their help, you may wish to show a little respect and restrict your language to words that are not offensive.

:rolleyes:
Certainly, I didn't mean to disrespect any members of this forum...I'm at the end of my rope here. I apologize if I offended you

Lehighluke

Honestly, you were fine with this contract when you signed it (and then even renewed it) I understand you are frustrated, but I don't agree that the alarm company is the big-bad guy in this. They are offering a deferment - I suspect they don't even have to do that.
Yeah, what I signed up for is
A. I give them money every month
B. They give me alarm service

What the situation they want now is
B. They provide me with nothing

They offer me deferral, but what if I can't use the service in the future, ever? Maybe I'm just too close to the situation, and am blinded by my own bias. This is the 1st time since the fire I have experienced any person or company being anything but extremely helpful and compassionate towards my situation. Yeah, they don't "have" to do anything. But people of morals do things that are good and virtuous without being made to. I suppose companies don't have morals, but they should have ethics.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yeah, what I signed up for is
B. They give me alarm service

What the situation they want now is
B. They provide me with nothing

They offer me deferral, but what if I can't use the service in the future, ever? Maybe I'm just too close to the situation, and am blinded by my own bias. This is the 1st time since the fire I have experienced any person or company being anything but extremely helpful and compassionate towards my situation. Yeah, they don't "have" to do anything. But people of morals do things that are good and virtuous without being made to. I suppose companies don't have morals, but they should have ethics.
You CAN use the service in the future - you are choosing not to.

Lehighluke

Well, my problem is resolved.

With a little detective work, I got the email of the CEO, President, and VP of marketing, and emailed a respectful plea.

Immediately I got a call from Steve Dixon, VP of Cust. Experience, and he was completely compassionate and sympathetic to my situation.
They are going to refund me, and cancel my contract, and he was very humble and said if I ever find myself needing an alarm in the future,
he hopes that I would consider Vivint again.

After talking to him, I think I will

Last edited:

LdiJ

Well, my problem is resolved.

With a little detective work, I got the email of the CEO, President, and VP of marketing, and emailed a respectful plea.

Immediately I got a call from Steve Dixon, VP of Cust. Experience, and he was completely compassionate and sympathetic to my situation.
They are going to refund me, and cancel my contract, and he was very humble and said if I ever find myself needing an alarm in the future,
he hopes that I would consider Vivint again.

After talking to him, I think I will
Sometimes that is just what you have to do, and it usually works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">