• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had insurance still fined in court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jakedude

CALIFORNIA

My wife was in a couple of accidents, we were insured at the time. We went to court on the day her ticket stated. We were told to show proof of insurance and pay a $25.00 fee in which we did. We have receipts showing amount "paid in full". A couple of months later we were sent a bill for over $1800.00. It seems it went to trial and she lost by not showing up. How can they do this when proof was show at the traffic window? They have since sent it to collections and revoked her drivers license until it is paid in full. We tried to get on court calendar to clear this up but are told "you cannot put yourself on calendar" for any reason. What kind of judicial system is this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

OnTheRoadAgain

We were told to show proof of insurance and pay a $25.00 fee in which we did. We have receipts showing amount "paid in full".
Did you show proof that at the time(s) of each accident, that the vehicle was insured, and that she wasn't excluded from the policy as a driver of the vehicle? Why wasn't the insurance card shown at the time of the accident? There must be more to your story that you haven't told. Or did you show proof that at the time of the court date, that the vehicle now has current insurance?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Sounds like you're leaving something out. Your wife had how many accidents? And was she ticketed each time and for what, not having insurance?

jakedude

Proof Shown at time of accident

Did you show proof that at the time(s) of each accident, that the vehicle was insured, and that she wasn't excluded from the policy as a driver of the vehicle? Why wasn't the insurance card shown at the time of the accident? There must be more to your story that you haven't told. Or did you show proof that at the time of the court date, that the vehicle now has current insurance?
We did not have the paper insurance cards in our possession when the accidents occurred, as they were still in the mail we did however have proof of policy on our phones (emails). It is to my understanding that the electronic proof should of been recognized and accepted by the officer on scene but he refused to take it. Our insurance policy is dated just like all of them, prior to the accident. The court clerk made the comment that "the judge was aware that we were insured prior to the accident". She didn't quite understand why the court ruled as they did.

jakedude

Proof of Insurance

Sounds like you're leaving something out. Your wife had how many accidents? And was she ticketed each time and for what, not having insurance?
Yes she was ticketed twice for no insurance, but believe you me our vehicles are insured legally.I am truly flabbergassed at the whole situation. We have had no option according to the court clerks to rectify this problem

jimnyc

CALIFORNIA

We went to court on the day her ticket stated.

How can they do this when proof was show at the traffic window?
Yes she was ticketed twice for no insurance, but believe you me our vehicles are insured legally.I am truly flabbergassed at the whole situation. We have had no option according to the court clerks to rectify this problem
When you went to the courthouse the first time, did you actually go to court and see a judge, or did you go to an administration area and show proof of insurance and pay for the tickets? If the latter, it's possible that somehow you were expected to be in court?

ecmst12

When you don't show up for your court date, you don't win. You will probably need a lawyer to sort it out now. And it will cost you $$. Possibly $$$, because it's California.

jakedude

No Judge No Administration area

When you went to the courthouse the first time, did you actually go to court and see a judge, or did you go to an administration area and show proof of insurance and pay for the tickets? If the latter, it's possible that somehow you were expected to be in court?
The first and only time we went to court was on the day that was on the ticket. I wanted to see the Judge but the clerk says "Even though the ticket has "that days date" date we wont be able to see the Judge. The clerk told us that the "no proof of insurance tickets" were proof of correction & $25.00, so we showed proof & paid the fee. The next time we here from the courts is a coupe of months later for a ridiculous fee. We have been inquiring all along & all we have found out is the udge on the case retired. WTF???
I am sick inside over this.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you don't want to hire an attorney to deal with this then you should get down to the courthouse and find out from the clerk what you need to do to get this corrected.

justalayman

You mention accidents. Was she ticketed each time she was in an accident? If so, you speak of
Going to the courthouse only once. What happened any other time?

Also, did you or your insurance company on behalf of you file an sr-1 with the dmv within 10 days of the accident? (That applies to each accident regardless of whether she recieved a ticket or not)

jakedude

Down to courthouse for a fleecing

If you don't want to hire an attorney to deal with this then you should get down to the courthouse and find out from the clerk what you need to do to get this corrected.
We have been in touch with traffic clerks and their superiors and retrieved nothing to help us out. They just tell us to "pay the $1800.00, there is nothing else that can be done" Except go to collections within 90 days. where does one go to rectify a problem that really shouldn't be?

jakedude

Sr-1

You mention accidents. Was she ticketed each time she was in an accident? If so, you speak of
Going to the courthouse only once. What happened any other time?

Also, did you or your insurance company on behalf of you file an sr-1 with the dmv within 10 days of the accident? (That applies to each accident regardless of whether she recieved a ticket or not)
Yes she went to the dmv and filed a SR-1 on her own behalf. We have a new chapter in this nightmare ""my wife starts a new job and we want to know if she can obtain a 'restricted work license" need to see a judge still!!!! What can one do?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes she went to the dmv and filed a SR-1 on her own behalf. We have a new chapter in this nightmare ""my wife starts a new job and we want to know if she can obtain a 'restricted work license" need to see a judge still!!!! What can one do?
In the accident what did she hit?
And she needs to pay the $1800. My understanding is there is any damage caused, your wife cannot just pay the ticket. She has to go to court. So your wife screwed up. She is not going to get a work license if she is not paying on the fines.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We have been in touch with traffic clerks and their superiors and retrieved nothing to help us out. They just tell us to "pay the $1800.00, there is nothing else that can be done" Except go to collections within 90 days. where does one go to rectify a problem that really shouldn't be?
If she was ticketed twice, then she would have needed to pay $25 per citation. If she only paid $25, that means she would have NOT paid the second citation.

Also, a copy of your policy is NOT acceptable proof of insurance. That's what it wasn't accepted. Had she had acceptable proof of insurance on your phone, it would have been accepted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">