• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap Parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Viper2

I live in Ga and I was coming from a club late at night and I parked in a handicap spot that was not clearly marked. I also have never parked in that parking lot before and was not familiar with that handicap area. When I went back to my car the next day, I got a ticket. The reason I parked there is because parking services (or whoever) has done a sh itty job in painting the lines for this. Tell me what you think about this. Here is a picture I took, and keep in mind that the only light that was shined on this spot was due to the camera flash which obviously wouldn't exist normally. The spot that I got a ticket on was the one without the blue and white symbols, but the very faded yellow lines.

The pictures can be viewed at:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/theryster1/003.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/theryster1/002.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/theryster1/001.jpg

I heard somewhere that if there is no handicap sign for a spot, you cannot give a ticket for handicap parking illegally. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but can anybody see another way that I can avoid this ticket? Thanks in advance.

S

shell007

Viper2 said:
I live in Ga and I was coming from a club late at night and I parked in a handicap spot that was not clearly marked. I also have never parked in that parking lot before and was not familiar with that handicap area. When I went back to my car the next day, I got a ticket. The reason I parked there is because parking services (or whoever) has done a sh itty job in painting the lines for this. Tell me what you think about this. Here is a picture I took, and keep in mind that the only light that was shined on this spot was due to the camera flash which obviously wouldn't exist normally. The spot that I got a ticket on was the one without the blue and white symbols, but the very faded yellow lines.

The pictures can be viewed at:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/theryster1/003.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/theryster1/002.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i55/theryster1/001.jpg

I heard somewhere that if there is no handicap sign for a spot, you cannot give a ticket for handicap parking illegally. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but can anybody see another way that I can avoid this ticket? Thanks in advance.
Did youR car NOT HAVE WORKING HEADLIGHTS??

After looking at your pictures...IT WAS CLEARLY OBVIOUS TO ME that these were handicapped spots.

PAY THE TICKET!!

justalayman

I have similar feelings as Shellandty. They look pretty obvious to me.

But your claim of no sign is valid in at least one state though. I could not find the requirements for a handicapped space in your statutes. Hopefully somebody that has better search skills will come along and fill us all in.

Viper2

How can you say this is clearly obvious? The only picture that you can remotely see the yellow lines is the 001 one. Even then, the only reason you see the lines is because of the flash from the camera. Beyond that, you cant even see the lines, and look how close I am to the spot when I took the picture. I am right next to the spot and you can clearly see the entire white lines but not the yellow lines. I shouldn't have to squint my eyes to see if I'm parked illegally. Oh, and by the way, you cant drive up to the spot and park ( you have to turn into the spot) otherwise I could see how you would think that my headlights should have lit up the yellow lines. Look again at the 001 picture and tell me again that without the flash from the camera, it would have been clearly obvious that it was illegal to park there. And dont say SPOTS or THEY because I am talking about ONE spot and that is the spot that is not marked by a handicap symbol which is where I parked. Isn't there some law that states something along the lines of the handicap parking spots and stripes have to be well mantained? Thanks.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Looking at your picture labeled #1 (from a "California" point of view) it seems to me that there are two handicapped spots separated by a regular spot.
If this were in my local shopping center, I would park in the center spot with no reservations what-so-ever. Furthermore, *if* I were to receive a ticket, it would not hold up in court because that center spot is NOT properly marked.

The Occultist

I'll agree that it does not look like a handicap spot. However, it does look like a crosswalk or something that is NOT a parking spot. I would fight against the handicap parking ticket, but it is obvious that it is a spot where you are not allowed to park either way.

DRTDEVL

Looks like a handicapped VAN LOADING space. Quite common all over.

You see... Handicapped vans need an additional space next to them for the wheelchair lift to operate. The spaces are not marked as a handicapped space, due to the fact theat they need to be left open for the van (so another handicapped driver can't use it). They are almost always marked with diagonal hash marks, as seen in your pictures.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If there are "diagonal lines" then I agree that's what intended. However (at least in California) those lines must be blue to be part of the handicapped spot.
Research the rules of your state - maybe start with the DMV web site?

The Occultist

Viper2 said:
I realize what it is, but it is very difficult to see it at night.
Difficult to see? Let's be smart about this, shall we? Now, I'm not going to claim that it is always the case because I could most certainly be wrong, but so far I have NEVER seen a non-handicap parking space between two handicap parking spaces. If I ever did, I would probably spend too much time looking around to make sure that I am actually parking in a valid space, paranoid that I was missing a sign or something. Now, I'm not saying you should be as paranoid as I, but I am saying you should apply some minimal amount of thinking towards where you park.

S

shell007

Even IF the parking spot restrictions were ambiguous at first...Didn't you SEE the YELLOW LINE when once you got out of your car as you were walking to your destination. AT MINIMUM...YOU should have observed it (the yellow line) as questionable at best.

Viper2

I did not see the yellow lines when I got out of my car because they are so faded and it was at night time. Do you not think those lines are faded to an unreasonable amount?

m5634

Your pictures

Can you confirm for me picture # 2?

To me it looks like 2 handicap spaces, the 3rd space no handicap space, and the 4th parking space as handicap. Is that correct?

S

shell007

m5634 said:
Can you confirm for me picture # 2?

To me it looks like 2 handicap spaces, the 3rd space no handicap space, and the 4th parking space as handicap. Is that correct?
I think the OP is long gone, but worth a shot.
The last post was 10 days ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">