• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hare Krishna's are being bullied by a "street person"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

violas

I am with a Hare Krishna group in Florida. We like to sing and dance on the corner of a street. We have been doing it there for many years. However, for the last 2 weeks one of the "street guys" are in our face and he is yelling and threatening both male and female members, telling us we have to leave and cannot be there. He seems to think that he "owns that corner" Most of us are "older adults". I am a senior citizen with a bad back. I use a cane. If this guy should become "physically violent" the next time, am I legally allowed to hit him in the head with my cane as self-defense?

quincy

I am with a Hare Krishna group in Florida. We like to sing and dance on the corner of a street. We have been doing it there for many years. However, for the last 2 weeks one of the "street guys" are in our face and he is yelling and threatening both male and female members, telling us we have to leave and cannot be there. He seems to think that he "owns that corner" Most of us are "older adults". I am a senior citizen with a bad back. I use a cane. If this guy should become "physically violent" the next time, am I legally allowed to hit him in the head with my cane as self-defense?
If you are confident that you are not violating any city ordinance by gathering on the street corner in a group without a permit, you don’t have to wait for a physically violent encounter to report the fellow’s threats to the police. You do not want to wait for any confrontation to become violent.

Here is a link to Florida’s law on self defense:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.012.html

Last edited:

violas

If you are confident that you are not violating any city ordinance by gathering on the street corner in a group without a permit, you don’t have to wait for a physically violent encounter to report the fellow’s threats to the police. You do not want to wait for any confrontation to become violent.

Here is a link to Florida’s law on self defense:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.012.html
I went to the police station to file a report today and they wouldn't let me file a report. I had wanted the police to talk to the guy BEFORE he threatens us again this Friday. The police told me that the NEXT TIME he verbally threatens us then call 911 and they will come and talk to the guy. But what if the NEXT TIME he pulls a knife out instead of verbally attacking us? I guess we are on our own until the police arrive.

violas

Possibly. Depends on the specific facts.
The specific facts are that we have a legal right to be on that corner. That "street bully" does not own that street. He makes his money by playing his guitar for tax-free donations. I am the taxpayer who pays taxes. Therefore, I and the other taxpayers "own that corner"

quincy

I went to the police station to file a report today and they wouldn't let me file a report. I had wanted the police to talk to the guy BEFORE he threatens us again this Friday. The police told me that the NEXT TIME he verbally threatens us then call 911 and they will come and talk to the guy. But what if the NEXT TIME he pulls a knife out instead of verbally attacking us? I guess we are on our own until the police arrive.
With luck there will not be a “next time.” The fellow may have wandered off to yell at others elsewhere. IF, however, the guy returns, try to diffuse the situation rather than escalate it, so the police have time to respond. You do not want to turn your happy gathering into a tragic event.

violas

With luck there will not be a “next time.” The fellow may have wandered off to yell at others elsewhere. IF, however, the guy returns, try to diffuse the situation rather than escalate it, so the police have time to respond. You do not want to turn your happy gathering into a tragic event.

violas

Yes. We always try to be nice to everyone especially him. But I guess he has mental problems and truly believes he owns "that corner". I talked to one of the other street guys and I asked him why this guy was acting up like that. His response was "I don't know what his problem is. He thinks he owns that corner of the street".

quincy

Yes. We always try to be nice to everyone especially him. But I guess he has mental problems and truly believes he owns "that corner". I talked to one of the other street guys and I asked him why this guy was acting up like that. His response was "I don't know what his problem is. He thinks he owns that corner of the street".
The delusion that he “owns” that corner could be what keeps him going. We all like to believe we belong somewhere.

I hope that you will not have to resort to violence of any kind. Perhaps you and your friends can relocate to a different corner so you do not infringe on what he believes is his territory.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">