• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health insurance problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nonboatr

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?va
I am 22 year old cancer patient who has been covered by my parents insurance. I am now out of college and have an internship (no benefits) and will be removed from my parents policy because no longer in school. The cancer is making insurance unobtainable for me. I have to have cat scans and pet scans, etc. often. I can neither afford the healthcare or the insurance. What are my options? Is Medicaid an avenue? Please help me.

nonboatr

this post was for a friend

Just for anyone who knows me this was for my friend. If you know me, you know her. I just posted as she asked me for help and I said I would check here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have no idea what the eligibility for Medicaid is in your state. Why don't you ask the Medical Assistance Division (at least, that's who handles Medicaid in my state).

I'm not sure with VA law, but I know in CA that if you obtain health insurance coverage within 6 months of the prior coverage being cancelled, that there are no "pre-existing" clauses to worry about.

Been this route with cancer and the insurance. It may take alot of foot work on your friends’ part - but it is worth it.

nonboatr

that 6 month thing

she is/was covered under her parents coverage. Is cobra usually allowed for a beneficiary?

Her problem is the cost of the coverage for a single woman on her own, with a very low paying internship in Northern Virginia. She certainly can't take the cheap route with say, like Major medical and a HUGE deductible, she has to have the full stuff 'cause she couldn't afford even one of those CAT scans at $1000 a pop every 3 months or so.

What kinda of insurance, if you don't mind, don't have to name company but give me an idea of what PPO or HMO and roughly per month the cost?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, COBRA is allowed for a beneficiary. However, she will be responsible for paying the full premium. COBRA is not cheap; however, it may be less expensive than trying to find a individual policy on her own.

Jenni, unless CA is different from most states (which I grant is possible) what you are describing applies ONLY for group insurance offered through employers, NOT for individual policies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">