• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health insurance responsibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

denverb

What is the name of your state? minnesota

i also posted this in the insurance section and so far have gotten no responses. does anyone here know???

my current wife provides health insurance for our family plus for my daughter from my first marriage.

my question is this - as the insurance holder is my wife responsible for the unpaid medical bills even though she never signs anything and shouldn't be listed as the guarantor? (who knows what my ex actually does - anything to not pay!)

in the divorce decree it states that unpaid medical is to be split 50/50 between me and my ex. then she went on welfare and now the state is paying for the unpaid medical. so now the decree states that the unpaid expenses issue is reserved as the state is paying for it.

if my ex goes off welfare and in the mean time runs up medical bills before the court readdresses the issue of unpaid medical bills can the hospital go after my wife to pay just because she holds the insurance? i thought i read somewhere the whoever holds the insurance is automatically responsible for unpaid bills. maybe i read wrong or misinterpreted. does anyone know anything about this? basically we want to make sure that we don't get screwed over or have problems with my wife's credit if this were to happen.

speedcam

ok not exactly sure how it works there but here. same thing with my wifes ex hubby. (no payments since 2001 for any of the insurance or bills). and yes as we were rudely informed, we are responsible for the bills no matter what. it is up to us to get monies owed from the other parent for their part.
like i say though it may be different in Minn. than here in Wisc.
good luck with it.

speed

kat1963

The court order is between you & the custodial parent. The contract she has with the hospital to provide treatment & guarantee payment is another. You’re responsible for paying her 50% of the unpaids and obtaining medical insurance. Holding the insurance policy doesn’t automatically make you liable for the bills incurred... Unless you signed the forms, you (your wife) can’t be held responsible. It’s illegal to bill a third party, it's considered mail fraud and/or forgery.

However, since she is on welfare, depending on your state, you could be held responsible to pay back what the state paid out after the insurance maxed. But since you are paying support, while it can happen, probably not likely (but don't hold me to it since there are many difference circumstances that can apply).

Also,it depends how your court ordered is worded. But it it's standard, then there you go. Mr.KAT has been there, played that game with his ex.

You might want to consider filing a motion to clarify if there are items that are unclear in your current court order. Such as she has to provide a copy of the PAID BILL before you send payment for your share of the unpaids. (you of course verify that they are paid before sending her the check)

KAT

denverb

thanks for the info. i have asked at the last child support hearing about setting up specifics for the unpaid bills (ex: must be given to me within 14 days - if take to non-ppo then she's responsible for all cost, paymetn directly to provider, etc.) but the magistrate said she will not address those issue until they become an issue (ie - when she is no longer on medical assistance). which is why i'm concerned about getting screwed in the interm. thanks for your responses! hopefully, kat knows what she's talking about. speed- was the difference that either you or your wife signed for the services?

denverb

speedcam

i think the difference was that he would not take them, and my wife was the constantly doing it. plus since it was her insurance they automaticly sent the bill to her(us). we do have to send a form stating how much the charges were, what we paid, when they were paid and a copy of the bill to him, all this was done on a legal form that our attorney made up for us. he then was court ordered to pay us his 50% within 10 days of getting the information from us.

speed

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">