• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help I need to arrange for an Affidavit to be drafted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RocktoberDaisy

Hi,
I live in Texas. My mother passed away with no will in England and I am currently going through the process of that, my solicitor in England did not want to get involved in the Spanish part of the estate. My aunt who passed away in Spain left half of her estate to my mother. My mother never received her inheritance which is now passed to me and my brother. I do have a lawyer over in the Canary Islands who is less than helpful. I have been told that I need to draft an affidavit to prove who the heirs to my mothers estate are even though I have been granted the Letters of Administration of my mothers estate (apparently in this part of Spain that is not acceptable on it's own). I will need it translated and apostilled (which I have done before on another form that was required). My question is how do I go about getting an affidavit done and will I need original documentation accompanied with it? I apologize in advance if this is obvious but my head is spinning now and I really need to get this arranged as soon as possible. Thank you in advance for your help.

Just Blue

Hi,
I live in Texas. My mother passed away with no will in England and I am currently going through the process of that, my solicitor in England did not want to get involved in the Spanish part of the estate. My aunt who passed away in Spain left half of her estate to my mother. My mother never received her inheritance which is now passed to me and my brother. I do have a lawyer over in the Canary Islands who is less than helpful. I have been told that I need to draft an affidavit to prove who the heirs to my mothers estate are even though I have been granted the Letters of Administration of my mothers estate (apparently in this part of Spain that is not acceptable on it's own). I will need it translated and apostilled (which I have done before on another form that was required). My question is how do I go about getting an affidavit done and will I need original documentation accompanied with it? I apologize in advance if this is obvious but my head is spinning now and I really need to get this arranged as soon as possible. Thank you in advance for your help.
I'm very sorry about the loss of your mother.

FreeAdvice is for United States legal issues only, but your situation is not one that can be assisted by random people on the internet. Based on your opening post you will need an attorney in England and perhaps Spain as well.

I wish you luck in resolving this matter and, once again, my condolences on the loss of your Mother.

Last edited:

zddoodah

I'd suggest you contact an attorney in your locality who handles estate matters -- but not just any attorney. I'd suggest looking for an attorney at a larger firm in Dallas or Houston who has experience in international matters or who may even have connections with attorneys in England and Spain. The attorney will need to work with the lawyers in England and the Canary Islands. It also sounds you might want to dump the Canary Islands lawyer (and possibly look for one who is actually in Spain, unless your aunt's estate is being handled on the CI).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">