• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Need advice!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frustratedwife7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. Please help, my husband has been trying to modify his support since the beginning of June because his income drastically changed and his ex wife has refused to submit her financials. Our lawyer completed a motion to compel but her side still has not. The lawyers are going to have a meeting with the judge working with this case to see what the problem is. Our lawyer is perplexed as to why her or her lawyer would be doing this. They have had to cancel mediation hearings simply because she has not submitted them. In the mean time the old support amount is being taken out of my husbands check and we are drowning! Do you have any opinions as to why she would be doing this? We do feel like she has money she is trying to hide but why when she know that the financials have to be produced, wouldn't she just do it? We can't figure out if there is a loop hole that her legal team may be going for or what. We want this over with but she is making it impossible!!!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. Please help, my husband has been trying to modify his support since the beginning of June because his income drastically changed and his ex wife has refused to submit her financials. Our lawyer completed a motion to compel but her side still has not. The lawyers are going to have a meeting with the judge working with this case to see what the problem is. Our lawyer is perplexed as to why her or her lawyer would be doing this. They have had to cancel mediation hearings simply because she has not submitted them. In the mean time the old support amount is being taken out of my husbands check and we are drowning! Do you have any opinions as to why she would be doing this? We do feel like she has money she is trying to hide but why when she know that the financials have to be produced, wouldn't she just do it? We can't figure out if there is a loop hole that her legal team may be going for or what. We want this over with but she is making it impossible!!!
You must be mistaken, YOU don't have an attorney. Your husband does.

Since your husband has an attorney, he should be seeking his counsel.

Frustratedwife7

I'm not sure why you would say something like that. My husband and I are both at our wits end and just looking for advice as to why she would be doing this. My husband does seek advice from his lawyer and there is no problem there. As I wrote previously, The lawyer on his side is perplexed. That is why I am on this forum. Any positive feedback is encouraged.

Antigone*

I'm not sure why you would say something like that. My husband and I are both at our wits end and just looking for advice as to why she would be doing this. My husband does seek advice from his lawyer and there is no problem there. As I wrote previously, The lawyer on his side is perplexed. That is why I am on this forum. Any positive feedback is encouraged.
My comments are based on the fact that this is a legal website and you gave incorrect facts. You are not a party to this case, hence the attorney is not yours.

This forum will not be able to provide you with any insight as to why she and her legal team are acting as they are.

CSO286

Rah rah rah!!!

You are bestest new wife ever!!

How's that for postive feedback?

In any event, we generally won't second-guess an attorney who has ALL of the details of a case and knows the climate of the local courts.

Also, as much as you and your husband are in love, joined at the hip or always involved in every aspect of each other's life, this is his legal issue, and you are not a party to it. He needs to deal with it.

Antigone*

Rah rah rah!!!

You are bestest new wife ever!!

How's that for postive feedback?

In any event, we generally won't second-guess an attorney who has ALL of the details of a case and knows the climate of the local courts.

Also, as much as you and your husband are in love, joined at the hip or always involved in every aspect of each other's life, this is his legal issue, and you are not a party to it. He needs to deal with it.
You forgot this: they're a team:rolleyes:

Frustratedwife7

I guess this isn't the right website or forum for us. FYI, my husband met me long after he divorced his ex so I am not sure why there is so much bashing going on here. I am fully aware that this is a legal advice forum and that should include advice for anyone involved. Yes my husband and I are a team and he encouraged me to try this route for some advice. I'm sorry that it hasn't gotten us anywhere, but speaking to another lawyer on the phone today did. Thank you.

ecmst12

It is important for you to realize that YOU ARE NOT INVOLVED, legally speaking. You are not a party to the case. You are free to be supportive to your husband but do not get too involved in something which is none of your legal business.

mistoffolees

It is important for you to realize that YOU ARE NOT INVOLVED, legally speaking. You are not a party to the case. You are free to be supportive to your husband but do not get too involved in something which is none of your legal business.
And for the umpteen-zillionth time:
OP, we're not saying that to be mean. There are plenty of cases where a stepparent's over-involvement in a case has caused significant problems including restraining order against the stepparent, loss of custody, loss of visitation, and/or requirement for supervised visitation. It is NOT at all in your husband's best interests for you to be involved at any level greater than sympathizing with him privately.

SESmama

Best advice is to listen to his lawyer and for you to listen to hubby as he vents about it all. Then kiss him, tell him you love him, and you are sure the lawyer will get it all worked out. Then you remain removed from every legal maneuver in order to ensure the best outcome.

Frustratedwife7

Best advice is to listen to his lawyer and for you to listen to hubby as he vents about it all. Then kiss him, tell him you love him, and you are sure the lawyer will get it all worked out. Then you remain removed from every legal maneuver in order to ensure the best outcome.
Point well taken, it's all in the delivery. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">