• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Parents kicked 17 year old male out of house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

And, it may be simpler than that. If mom and dad don't have a problem with him living with you, and you are providing for his basic needs, then there is likely no legal issue at all here. It's only if he is a runaway or if mom and dad have a problem with him living with you that this will become a problem for the authorities.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This may not even need a temp guardianship. This may be accomplished by a simple power of attorney. That's another "been-there done-that" for me ;)
I can pretty much guarantee you that if they are anticipating putting him on their health insurance, that they will need the court-ordered guardianship (and that it will only be until the guardianship expires/he turns 18). This will not be an issue if he stays on Mom's and Dad's health insurance.

Just something to think about in the course of the discussion.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I can pretty much guarantee you that if they are anticipating putting him on their health insurance, that they will need the court-ordered guardianship (and that it will only be until the guardianship expires/he turns 18). This will not be an issue if he stays on Mom's and Dad's health insurance.

Just something to think about in the course of the discussion.
Yes, agreed. I hadn't considered that they may wish to put them on their own insurance, particularly with the financial concerns the OP seems to have about this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">