• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Sticky situation with a like estate and my Mother and brother....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BRUCE CONWELL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My brother set up a life estate for my 90 year old mother with his name added to the deed. He lives in the home. He did this all behind the backs of myself and two other brothers. I only found out by accident 7 years later. He convinced my Mother to do it by creating his Will at the same time and leaving the house to his three brothers upon his death. He convinced my Mother that he was going to die before her so his three brothers would get the house anyway (after her death).
My Mother has confirmed to myself and two brothers that she wants all of us to share equally in the house after she passes away. There is a clause in the life estate contract that allows my mother to add or change names on the deed. My brother did not know about this clause but I think the lawyer added it because he knew something sneaky was going on.
The problem is my brother has told my mother that if any changes are made to the deed he will commit suicide and it will be her fault! He told this to his 90 year old mother! Now my mother wants to leave everything "as is" so as not to cause him any stress. Myself and my two brothers know he will not commit suicide and he only is saying that to keep the house for himself after my mother passes away.
We are not supposed to know that he threatened suicide as my mother told us in confidence and does not want us to say anything. She wants all her sons to share equally in the house but she has been put in a terrible situation because she thinks her son might commit suicide if she makes any changes. My brothers and I can't confront my other brother because we would be breaking my mothers trust.
Does anyone have any advise on a way out of this situation so my mother's real wishes can be met. We feel like my mother and her three sons are being held hostage by this "wayward" brother.

TrustUser

these are just thoughts

1) just how exactly can your mom add or change names on the deed ? the reason i am asking is i was wondering if she could have some document notarized, given to you, and you dont record it until after your mom passes ?

since the lawyer put this clause in, i would think that a consultation with him might be a wise step. it seems likely to me that he may be able to give you some options of which you are not aware.

2) older people are easily manipulated, by appealing to their fears. more than likely, at her age, her children are the only thing that she really cares about.

but any son who would actually do this to his mother simply does not have good intentions for his mom. and hopefully she can think rationally about it.

BRUCE CONWELL

Help! Sticky situation with a like estate and my Mother and brother...

Hi,
Sorry for the delay in responding. Written into the "Life Estate Deed" is a a paragraph that gives special power of appointment to my mother and gives her the right to change the remainderman or the persons who would inherit her house to any one of her direct descendants.

We believe this power of appointment clause was added by their lawyer because he knew something was not right about the way everything was being done.

His lawyer knows my family well and knew he had other brothers yet we were nowhere to be seen.

Since my last email things have gotten worse. My brother told my mother all three of his brothers were in his Will (so we would end up with the house anyway.....or at least our estate) but we have just learned we are NOT in his Will at all!!

My 90 year old Mother is still too afraid to make any changes in the deed because of my bother's direct threat of suicide and told her it would be her fault. So right now as it stands my Mother disinherited us seven years ago when my brother had her sign the house over to him and she would have a Life Estate. Now we find out we are not even in his Will.

My Mother has the ability to correct things because of that power of attorney clause but she won't because of my brother's suicide threats.

We are at a complete loss at what to do. My Mother absolutely wants all four of her sons to share equally in the house as she told us a half dozen times over the last four months when we have taken her out to dinner****************************..but she is too afraid to do anything. Can you imagine what she must be going through? She is between a rock and a hard place as are her three sons that have been disinherited and left out of everything.

If there is anyone out there with any suggestions I would very much welcome them.

TrustUser

not sure how to deal with someone who is fearful ?

if i was in your mom's place, not only would i not be worried, but i would write the wrongful son out entirely for demonstrating his lack of care for me or his siblings.

whether or not you are in his will is meaningless.

he could produce an old will with you on there. even if you were in his current will, he can change that tomorrow.

what about having your mom talk to the attorney ?

as far as i am concerned, if someone commits suicide because he isnt willing to settle for his proportionate share, then so be it. just because someone is blood-related, does not mean he is a good person.

there are lots of crappy people, and they all have blood relations.

also explain nicely to your mom that if she is willing to allow people to use her, they will do so.

TrustUser

regarding the power of appointment - i would talk to the lawyer about just what exactly your mom does to change the remaindeman ?

i dont have any experience with life estates.

but at least here in california, deeds are recorded after death (as long as the deed was properly notarized, etc.)

so depending on just what your mom signs - i am still thinking she could sign what was necessary, and then have it recorded after mom dies, or when she becomes incapacitated enough that she wont be able to comprehend your brother's suicide threats.

again, talk to the lawyer - if he was wise enough to put the clause in, i am fairly certain he will have some good suggestions for you guys.

justalayman

its quite simple;

either your mother changes the remaindermen or she doesn't. It would appear she doesn't want to due to your brother's statements and you do not want to engage your brother directly due to the agreement between you and your mother.

so, if she doesn't change the remainderman, it is what it is.

BRUCE CONWELL

Help! Sticky situation with a like estate and my Mother and brother...

not sure how to deal with someone who is fearful ?

if i was in your mom's place, not only would i not be worried, but i would write the wrongful son out entirely for demonstrating his lack of care for me or his siblings.

whether or not you are in his will is meaningless.

he could produce an old will with you on there. even if you were in his current will, he can change that tomorrow.

what about having your mom talk to the attorney ?

as far as i am concerned, if someone commits suicide because he isnt willing to settle for his proportionate share, then so be it. just because someone is blood-related, does not mean he is a good person.

there are lots of crappy people, and they all have blood relations.

also explain nicely to your mom that if she is willing to allow people to use her, they will do so.
How right you are that "there are lots of crappy people, and they all have blood relations". Myself and my two brothers have decided enough is enough. We are "forcing" a family meeting next week where we will all be present including my Mom and we will lay EVERYTHING out on the table.

There is no way in hell we are going to allow my brother to think we believe that my mother is leaving him the house because that is her wishes.

My brother must and will understand that WE know the truth behind my mother's decision**************......and that is because of his threat of suicide and blaming her if he doesn't get the house.

Yes we will have to break my mother's confidence that she told us this. However we have decided that it is better to break her confidence than it is to have her live out her remaining years (she is 90) in fear under my brothers daily threats of suicide and constant interrogations she is put under whenever she gets together with one of her other sons.

He does this because of his paranoia that even if we take her out to dinner we are plotting behind his back how to get her to change the deed. He then interrogates her when she gets home. This happens every single time she goes out with one of her other sons.

It is time to for my brother to know what we know he is doing. I will update after the meeting next week. Thank you for everyone's input. Bruce

Last edited:

I'mTheFather

You might want to invite a mental health professional to your family meeting and hold an intervention for your brother.

(just kidding, but it would serve him right)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">