• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with Eviction process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LisaAnnS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Okay, will try to make this short. I have served a 5 day notice and filed for Possession only-Forcible detainer after the 5 days went by with no rent payment. Of course the unpaying tenant knew that the summons was coming so did not answer the door when the Sheriff came to serve the papers. Sheriff only tried once.

So...what is the next step? Do I ask the Sheriff to post the notice? How and when can I do this? I just want him out as quickly as possible, I am not even asking for money. I called the Electric Company and they said that his electric service will be shut off any day now due to non payment, and legally in Chicago they have to shut it off before October 31. So he will be without hot water, heat, and lights. That is the only thing that makes me happy.

Please help me make sure I going about the process correctly.

Thanks.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">