• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AutumnDunn123

I am 17 years old I am going to be 18 on January 20 and I am pregnant but my parents do not know. I did tell my school so they would work with me so I can still graduate I plan on telling my parents when I turn 18. The school has known about my pregnancy since I was 12 weeks gestation. I right now am 19 weeks and 3 days. They said they would keep it confidential. But today they notified me that I need to tell my parents and if I didn't they would. I told them no And that it was violating conference of health issues. And they said it went over their head so they went to my principal. He said it went over him so they went to the superintendent. She said that they would keep it confidential. But then they told me they were going to talk to the school lawyer. About what they can/can't do. S my question is what can and can't they do? Can they force me to tell my parents or can they legally tell my parents? What exactly can and can't they do? I live in Illinois

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Granted education law is not my area, but I'm pretty clear on what entities are covered under HIPAA and I don't recall schools being there.

Which means they do not owe you a duty of confidentiality with regards to health or medical issues.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am 17 years old I am going to be 18 on January 20 and I am pregnant but my parents do not know. I did tell my school so they would work with me so I can still graduate I plan on telling my parents when I turn 18. The school has known about my pregnancy since I was 12 weeks gestation. I right now am 19 weeks and 3 days. They said they would keep it confidential. But today they notified me that I need to tell my parents and if I didn't they would. I told them no And that it was violating conference of health issues. And they said it went over their head so they went to my principal. He said it went over him so they went to the superintendent. She said that they would keep it confidential. But then they told me they were going to talk to the school lawyer. About what they can/can't do. S my question is what can and can't they do? Can they force me to tell my parents or can they legally tell my parents? What exactly can and can't they do? I live in Illinois
So are you getting prenatal care? How old is the alleged father of this child? How do you expect your parents NOT to find out that you are pregnant?

Just Blue

Well. maybe they won't figure it out before you're 6+ months pregnant...
I always "popped" at 5 1/2 months. No hiding that babybump. And if OP thinks wearing baggy clothing will hide the pregnancy...It won't. The first sign of a hidden pregnancy is the sudden wearing of all things baggy.

OP is going to have a baby. If she can't be responsible and adult enough to discuss this with her parents...Perhaps she should consider placing the child for adoption.

Just Blue

What would happen if you told your parents?
They will be upset. I will bet my last nickel that OP is either waiting to move in with baby's father or is afraid Mom and Dad can force or coerce her to place the child for adoption.

OP needs to VERY QUICKLY grow up. She is to be a mother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">