• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Helping my girlfriend out with rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmart42

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello all,

My girlfriend who is going through a divorce needs help financially. I want to help her by lending her some money to pay for her rent for the next 3 - 6 months. She is also in the middle of a spousal support battle. Will me lending her money negatively impact the calculations for support? We will not be living together, this will be me just lending her the money so she can get started in her new place.

Thanks in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hello all,

My girlfriend who is going through a divorce needs help financially. I want to help her by lending her some money to pay for her rent for the next 3 - 6 months. She is also in the middle of a spousal support battle. Will me lending her money negatively impact the calculations for support? We will not be living together, this will be me just lending her the money so she can get started in her new place.

Thanks in advance.
Maybe you ought to wait until she's not married before taking her as your "girlfriend".

ETA: That's not a moral recommendation, it is a legal one. Your presence and "help" can indeed complicate matters.

Just Blue

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.
Zig gave you wonderful legal advice.

I am going to say: "What she does with you...She will do TO you".
;)

rmart42

I think there are a lot of assumptions being made here on the situation based on the fact that she is still legally married. It won't be productive of me to try to counter those prejudices. So I'd like to stick to the legal implications.

Can you please elaborate on how helping her will complicate things? I expect this to be a one time loan, which will be equal to 4 months rent. We had planned on documenting this as a loan.

Thanks

Just Blue

I think there are a lot of assumptions being made here on the situation based on the fact that she is still legally married. It won't be productive of me to try to counter those prejudices. So I'd like to stick to the legal implications.

Can you please elaborate on how helping her will complicate things? I expect this to be a one time loan, which will be equal to 4 months rent. We had planned on documenting this as a loan.

Thanks
The only reason there are "assumptions" would be based on your postings.

So. as to the Legal issues:

If you intend this to be a loan...How would mistress pay it off? Or do you intend to commit fraud by proporting this as a loan??:confused:

rmart42

The only reason there are "assumptions" would be based on your postings.

So. as to the Legal issues:

If you intend this to be a loan...How would mistress pay it off? Or do you intend to commit fraud by proporting this as a loan??:confused:
Sorry, you have to own your own choice of words. I said she was going through a divorce, you have no insight into our relationship or her divorce to support your assumptions. Mistress?? Again, you are injecting these labels without any supporting facts. If you don't have anything to offer as it relates to my question, please stop participating in this discussion. The points you have made are baseless, and unnecessary.

She will be able to repay the loan after gaining employment. Unfortunately she was laid off, which created this financial crisis for her.

Ladyback1

Sorry, you have to own your own choice of words. I said she was going through a divorce, you have no insight into our relationship or her divorce to support your assumptions. Mistress?? Again, you are injecting these labels without any supporting facts. If you don't have anything to offer as it relates to my question, please stop participating in this discussion. The points you have made are baseless, and unnecessary.

She will be able to repay the loan after gaining employment. Unfortunately she was laid off, which created this financial crisis for her.
regardless of the circumstances, she is still legally married. And your involvement with her could create issues for her. Please tell me there are not kids involved in the divorce?

Proserpina

Thanks

Ah. You want to go strictly by the legalities?

You're not party to this action. It's not your situation to worry about.

(That was easy, wasn't it? ;) )

Proserpina

I'll reiterate.

Ain't your legal business, my friend.

rmart42

Unfortunately there is one child involved, she has sole custody. The ex has been avoiding paying support for her (the daughter) as well. It is unfortunate my involvement could be an issue. It has been a messy divorce, its been around a lot longer than our relationship, but I don't know that it's really an option to sit idly by, but at the same time we're not in the space to say lets just move in together, and deal with the financial impact regardless.

I think the next step is for her to get a lawyer and work through this. It may be too complicated of an issue for a forum. We were hoping that I could loan her the money without having any permanent effect on her divorce proceedings. That may be unavoidable.

Thanks

Proserpina

Unfortunately there is one child involved, she has sole custody. The ex has been avoiding paying support for her (the daughter) as well. It is unfortunate my involvement could be an issue. It has been a messy divorce, its been around a lot longer than our relationship, but I don't know that it's really an option to sit idly by, but at the same time we're not in the space to say lets just move in together, and deal with the financial impact regardless.

I think the next step is for her to get a lawyer and work through this. It may be too complicated of an issue for a forum. We were hoping that I could loan her the money without having any permanent effect on her divorce proceedings. That may be unavoidable.

Thanks
You're welcome!

Bali Hai

Thanks
Gotcha, wait until the spousal support is ordered would be less financial impact for you and her and then move in together?

Advice:

Run as fast and as far from this as you can and don't look back.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

She's married. You have sex with her yet? If so, she has committed adultery. Why should her husband support her when you are already screwing her? You want the goods, pay for them. (Crass but true.)

OHRoadwarrior

Run.... Run Fast..... You do not actually think the money will come back do you? You are Transient Man. Consider this a Quid Pro Quo transaction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">