• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Her stuff in my storage unit, can't find her

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bcubed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

Okay, this is a related post to Domestic dispute, GF takes $800 of computers that I put in "criminal procedure." Basically, the story is:

1) We weren't working out, I go up to Pennsylvania.
2) GF agrees to come along for 10 days.
3) We have a fight, break up.
4) I "make noises" about holding her property in my storage unit "in escrow" for payment of a $150 debt (never actually do anything, though).
5) #4 makes GF think it's okay to call cops on me, then claim "my" computers are "ours" and not give them to me.
6) GF takes off, turns off phone.

Okay, now the point: her stuff is still in my unit. I'm paid thru 8/31 and do not desire to extend my rental, as my stuff will be out. What sort of attempt(s) to reach her must I make before I can just tell the storage unit staff, "hey, I'm out, do what you will with what's left?"What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Banned_Princess

I don't think the storage facility will be too happy you using their unit as a dump. :rolleyes:

take pictures of what you leave, as well as proof you tried to really communicate with her you dumping the rental unit.

bcubed

I don't think the storage facility will be too happy you using their unit as a dump. :rolleyes:
Well, I figure that's better for me, liability-wise. If *I* throw her stuff in the dumpster, it could be later argued that I did it out of spite, or some other form of malice. If I let *them* do it, it's a little harder to make the same claim.

(Obviously I'll run it by management first...there's a good chance some of the salable goods might make them accept such a deal.)

take pictures of what you leave, as well as proof you tried to really communicate with her you dumping the rental unit.
I'm thinking classified ad in the Tampa paper, plus a cert. letter to next of kin/last known address might suffice?

(I'm really hoping to file criminal complaint, civil complaint, get her to meet me at storage, then BAM! get her arrested and/or served.)

Proserpina

Well, I figure that's better for me, liability-wise. If *I* throw her stuff in the dumpster, it could be later argued that I did it out of spite, or some other form of malice. If I let *them* do it, it's a little harder to make the same claim.

(Obviously I'll run it by management first...there's a good chance some of the salable goods might make them accept such a deal.)

I'm thinking classified ad in the Tampa paper, plus a cert. letter to next of kin/last known address might suffice?

(I'm really hoping to file criminal complaint, civil complaint, get her to meet me at storage, then BAM! get her arrested and/or served.)

Just a thought.

You might want to back track on that whole getting her arrested thing. You know, since you basically tried to hold hostage her property until she repaid a debt.

You don't get to do that, dude.

"In Escrow"? Really?

Banned_Princess

yea, no.

your being a jerk over 2 depreciated laptops.

you should know how fast the depreciate to almost nothing. (garbage)

let it go. like she would meet you anywhere :rolleyes:

bcubed

Just a thought.

You might want to back track on that whole getting her arrested thing. You know, since you basically tried to hold hostage her property until she repaid a debt.

You don't get to do that, dude.

"In Escrow"? Really?
Wait.

I *ran my mouth off* about escrow. I was BLUFFING. I took NO action in furtherance of "escrow," or anything like that!

I know that I "don't get to" actually hold her property in a "DIY escrow," but are you saying it's illegal to even make mention of escrow, only to "take it back" 15 minutes later?

Regardles of "what they depreciate to,' I need a laptop to make a living, and I'd have to replace it. Anyhoo, "being a jerk" isn't illegal; it's my perogative.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Wait.

I *ran my mouth off* about escrow. I was BLUFFING. I took NO action in furtherance of "escrow," or anything like that!

I know that I "don't get to" actually hold her property in a "DIY escrow," but are you saying it's illegal to even make mention of escrow, only to "take it back" 15 minutes later?

You made a threat.

I'm not saying the threat is going to lead to something bad on your side - but you've really got no idea where she went with that threat, do you?

There are often really painful consequences for things we say out of anger and/or haste.

Banned_Princess

Wait.

It is obvious you are obsessed with this girl.

try to notify her and go on with your life. :rolleyes:

we are not fans of retaliatory civil or criminal suits.

and you will never get replacement value. and nothing for programs or music or pictures on the laptops.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">