• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Here's a doozy!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Canada (A nation, not a state.)

This just happened yesterday, and I can't resist sharing it with my pals here. Please note that the laws in Canada and the US regarding this particular issue are the same.

Our hourly employees are scheduled for eight-hour shifts with a 30-minute unpaid meal break in the middle of the shift. So for them, one day's pay = 7.5 hours' worth of pay.

So an hourly employee came to me yesterday and demanded to know why he received only 7.5 hours' pay for each day of his recent paid vacation. I said "Well, 7.5 hours' pay is a day's pay, so getting 7.5 hours' pay for each day of your vacation sure sounds correct to me...why do you have a problem with this?"

And he said "I don't eat lunch on my vacation! I never eat lunch on my vacation! So you can't dock my pay for eating lunch when I never eat lunch!!!"

This is absolutely, perfectly true - and hilarious! :D

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Canada (A nation, not a state.)

This just happened yesterday, and I can't resist sharing it with my pals here. Please note that the laws in Canada and the US regarding this particular issue are the same.

Our hourly employees are scheduled for eight-hour shifts with a 30-minute unpaid meal break in the middle of the shift. So for them, one day's pay = 7.5 hours' worth of pay.

So an hourly employee came to me yesterday and demanded to know why he received only 7.5 hours' pay for each day of his recent paid vacation. I said "Well, 7.5 hours' pay is a day's pay, so getting 7.5 hours' pay for each day of your vacation sure sounds correct to me...why do you have a problem with this?"

And he said "I don't eat lunch on my vacation! I never eat lunch on my vacation! So you can't dock my pay for eating lunch when I never eat lunch!!!"

This is absolutely, perfectly true - and hilarious! :D

LOL...that is way too funny!!!

Beth3

Yowsa. :eek:

I am totally confounded by his logic. :confused:

divona2000

...a 30-minute unpaid meal break in the middle of the shift...And he said "I don't eat lunch on my vacation! I never eat lunch on my vacation! So you can't dock my pay for eating lunch when I never eat lunch!!!"
Change it to a 30-minute unpaid 'potty' break...:D

justalayman

but you have to admit; he does have a twisted logic behind his argument. He obviously is not understanding that vacation pay is not actual pay for those days but rather an earned pool but ya have to admit, he's thinking.

just not understanding.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Even in the US you are not required to eat lunch. But you are required to take the break.
Yes, that was pointed out in the original post :rolleyes:

My post was made tongue-in-cheek and the other seniors new EXACTLY what I meant ;)

commentator

Pretty good one! He doesn't eat lunch on his vacations. It is truly amazing,ee, for the first few years or our work lives, anyway. We just have to keep our sense of appreciation for the humorous aspect of it!

I used to come in and tell my husband stories, (though he has spent many years in corporate HR himself) and he would say, "That can't be true! Nobody's for real who would say that!" and I had to insist that yes, it was. And my friend who worked in the social security system used to say, "And you have to remember, your clients are the ones who are at least employable, capable of getting themselves to work every day. We deal with everyone!"

In many ways I fault our educational system in this country as I believe that the majority of people in the workforce are genuinely willing and cooperative but woefully uninformed about how our systems work. But I guess they said the same thing in the Roman empire, huh? Thanks for sharing a grin.

Isis1

Well, I agree with the employee's logic! I never do eat lunch while I'm on vacation. I graze all day. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">