• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hired Family Contractor terms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cindi86Rai

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello,

I hired a family contractor that we made an agreement to renovate my bathroom.

The agreed price included cost of all materials, vanities, and subfloor replacement. I asked what where the price variables for each item and they gave me a price range for the tile and told me to pick the other items as I wanted but to stay on the cheaper side.

I was under the impression that he'd show me options to pick from but that wasn't his plan. They had bought a tub and went to install it but it was too small and I did not like it. I would have preferred to have kept the old iron tub but he insisted on getting all new items.

Since I paid for the vanity items that was included with the contract price I asked him to adjust the contract to show the difference. They verbally agreed but didn't even want to credit half the cost and refuse to show that the items they were going to get were cheaper. He kept saying I paid for shit and it cost more money because I ordered some of them online.

I stayed on the cheap side and said if what I purchased would have gone over budget then we can look it over and pay for that. However even though he asked to see all the receipts from the items I purchased he refuses to show the receipts for the floor, walls, and window that was needed that he paid for.

I paid his labor cost plus some for the materials upfront and one payment after the work was done. There is issues with the grout and I've asked him about it and he refuses to fix it until he gets the rest of the agreed price.

My question is if I should pay the original agreed price of the contract or should there be a difference because I paid for half the material needed?

quincy

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello,

I hired a family contractor that we made an agreement to renovate my bathroom.

The agreed price included cost of all materials, vanities, and subfloor replacement. I asked what where the price variables for each item and they gave me a price range for the tile and told me to pick the other items as I wanted but to stay on the cheaper side.

I was under the impression that he'd show me options to pick from but that wasn't his plan. They had bought a tub and went to install it but it was too small and I did not like it. I would have preferred to have kept the old iron tub but he insisted on getting all new items.

Since I paid for the vanity items that was included with the contract price I asked him to adjust the contract to show the difference. They verbally agreed but didn't even want to credit half the cost and refuse to show that the items they were going to get were cheaper. He kept saying I paid for shit and it cost more money because I ordered some of them online.

I stayed on the cheap side and said if what I purchased would have gone over budget then we can look it over and pay for that. However even though he asked to see all the receipts from the items I purchased he refuses to show the receipts for the floor, walls, and window that was needed that he paid for.

I paid his labor cost plus some for the materials upfront and one payment after the work was done. There is issues with the grout and I've asked him about it and he refuses to fix it until he gets the rest of the agreed price.

My question is if I should pay the original agreed price of the contract or should there be a difference because I paid for half the material needed?
It really depends on your contract but all receipts for items purchased (by the contractor and by you), and a detailing of labor costs, should be shared.

I see problems that could have and probably should have been avoided from the start. The first problem was hiring family, regardless of their abilities. A second problem was not having everything in writing from the start. A third problem was allowing your contractor to dictate choices (like the tub). Another problem was not getting all costs in writing and agreed to before purchase and before installation.

I suggest you have the original contract and all of adjustments made to the contract (both written and oral adjustments) personally reviewed by an attorney in your area, so you know better where you stand legally when making demands and/or withholding any payment.

zddoodah

a family contractor
Meaning...this person is related to you?

I was under the impression that he'd show me options to pick from but that wasn't his plan.
When contracting with someone, make sure you understand each others expectations and intentions and incorporate same into the written contract.

I asked him to adjust the contract to show the difference. They verbally agreed
Please explain the difference between "he/him" and "they." Also, when agreeing to modifications, ALWAYS get the changes in writing and signed.

should pay the original agreed price of the contract or should there be a difference because I paid for half the material needed?
One would need to review your written contract to speak intelligently on the subject.

quincy

... When contracting with someone, make sure you understand each others expectations and intentions and incorporate same into the written contract. ...
This ^^^ seems to be key. There obviously were a lot of misunderstandings between the parties which probably could have been avoided through the careful drafting of the written contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">