• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring marketers paid by commission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

A business owner who doesn't think he needs an accountant is not someone with the mental wherewithal to understand the finer points of employment law. And someone lacking the mental wherewithal to understand the finer points of employment law is someone who isn't going to remain in business very long.

davew128

A business owner who doesn't think he needs an accountant is not someone with the mental wherewithal to understand the finer points of employment law. And someone lacking the mental wherewithal to understand the finer points of employment law is someone who isn't going to remain in business very long.
You'd be surprised by the number of "businesses" who operate s-corporations, don't keep books and records, and don't have a business bank account. Things that to you and I would seem fundamental never even occur to many business owners.

NoSheetSherlock

Lol you guys are a bunch of hot heads. Please just answer the question. If you cannot answer the question then please refrain from posting on this thread. Not looking for criticism, especially since you dont know anything about my business or how I am running it. Not that I should feel the need to defend myself but I will say that I never said I do not need an accountant or any other assumption you arrogant people would like to make. I simply asked for the laws regarding hiring of an IC, Employee, or Affiliate. All other responses are irrelevant. and simply looking to stir up trouble

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no such thing as an affiliate in the sense that you are using the word. There are only independent contractors and employees.

And it's not that we haven't given you the legal answer; it's that the legal answer is not what you wanted to hear.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Independent-Contractor-(Self-Employed)-or-Employee%3F

NoSheetSherlock

Also an added point, affiliates are definitely a legal option and probably something I will settle with over my other points discussed. Everyone who says they are not is simply un-knowledged in the area of digital services and products. Thanks all and have a great day.

Silverplum

Also an added point, affiliates are definitely a legal option and probably something I will settle with over my other points discussed. Everyone who says they are not is simply un-knowledged in the area of digital services and products. Thanks all and have a great day.
Well, I s'pose you are "simply unknowledged" in the law. :cool:

Lol you guys are a bunch of hot heads. Please just answer the question. If you cannot answer the question then please refrain from posting on this thread. Not looking for criticism, especially since you dont know anything about my business or how I am running it. Not that I should feel the need to defend myself but I will say that I never said I do not need an accountant or any other assumption you arrogant people would like to make. I simply asked for the laws regarding hiring of an IC, Employee, or Affiliate. All other responses are irrelevant. and simply looking to stir up trouble
You have a strange way of "asking" for help. :rolleyes:

NoSheetSherlock

There is no such thing as an affiliate in the sense that you are using the word. There are only independent contractors and employees.

And it's not that we haven't given you the legal answer; it's that the legal answer is not what you wanted to hear.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Independent-Contractor-(Self-Employed)-or-Employee%3F
That would be yet another assumption on your part. I am quite familiar with affiliate programs. You are just close-minded to the fact that I already thanked the members for the information on ICs and you would prefer to argue and create drama. I am simply deciding not to go with ICs or employees and rather start an affiliate program instead where I do not have to deal with the legal obligations of those options. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this viable choice on my part. I know all of you were born out of your mothers wombs with this vast knowledge of the legal and business world but there are some of us that were not so fortunate to have such a gift and do actually need to go out and seek help and find answers.

Silverplum

That would be yet another assumption on your part. I am quite familiar with affiliate programs. You are just close-minded to the fact that I already thanked the members for the information on ICs and you would prefer to argue and create drama. I am simply deciding not to go with ICs or employees and rather start an affiliate program instead where I do not have to deal with the legal obligations of those options. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this viable choice on my part. I know all of you were born out of your mothers wombs with this vast knowledge of the legal and business world but there are some of us that were not so fortunate to have such a gift and do actually need to go out and seek help and find answers.
Alrighty then.

:cool:

NoSheetSherlock

It surprises me how little you people know of digital services and products and the marketing behind it and yet you are "attempting" to provide answers here? I will bet none of you have heard of click bank which is an entirely affiliate run multi-billion dollar online system. I am clearly out to search for answers on the legal matters regarding what I am doing or else I would not be here so your petty criticisms are just a wasted effort on your part.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
It surprises me how little you people know of digital services and products and the marketing behind it and yet you are "attempting" to provide answers here? I will bet none of you have heard of click bank which is an entirely affiliate run multi-billion dollar online system. I am clearly out to search for answers on the legal matters regarding what I am doing or else I would not be here so your petty criticisms are just a wasted effort on your part.
Alrighty then. :cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As I said, you can call them affiliates if you want to. But as far as the FLSA is concerned, which is the law that determines how they get paid, they are either IC's or employees despite being called affiliates.

My employer has an affiliate program too. In fact, initially I WAS an affiliate. But it doesn't mean what you are trying to make it mean.

tranquility

Um....do you know what you would legally call an "affiliate"? That would be an independent contractor. Or, if you just give them a discount on the merchandise they sell, a retailer. If you pay them, they are an independent contractor or employee. If you pay anyone over $600 a year, you have to issue them a 1099 or may not be able to deduct the money as an expense. (If they are an IC.) No matter what you call these things, it really does not matter too much as the reality is what counts. Be sure you get an attorney on board as well so you can write up a good contract that will protect yourself.

LdiJ

What you don't seem to grasp is that tax law and business accounting practices simply do not vary (at least in the way that you think, in the basics) based on the type of industry that you happen to be involved in. You were the one who came to an internet message forum asking for advice, and you got true and valid advice. It obviously wasn't what you wanted to hear, but that doesn't change it's validity.

You can certainly do whatever you like, and deal with the consequences of doing whatever you like. Or, you can do everything properly and not deal with any consequences. Its your choice.

swalsh411

Why are you wasting any more time with this clown? He only wanted the answers he wanted to hear and validation of what he was going to do anyway long before posting.

He's not "searching for answers". That he might think anybody would actually believe this is just another indication of stupid, and you can't fix stupid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">