• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA overboard?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlueEyez1981

What is the name of your state? Washington State

I have recently moved into a condo that I bought and I love the unit hate the Board. The rules are overly strict. I mean I know they want to keep the property value up and maintain a safe and friendly enviroment but can a HOA really tell you how you can decorate the inside of your house (i.e. paint colors or drape colors?) The building I live in used to be a 55 and older complex and they don't like the fact that 20 somethings are moving in now that it is not a 55 and only complex exclusively. I didn't know it used to be a 55 and older complex when I moved in. Most the original owners are still there and are not willing to change anything. It doesn't make since when people in their 20's have the money to buy, and are, that things can't change with the dynamics of the building. By the way I probably wouldn't have bought the place if my realitor had gotten me a copy of the rules sooner.

HomeGuru

BlueEyez1981 said:
What is the name of your state? Washington State

I have recently moved into a condo that I bought and I love the unit hate the Board. The rules are overly strict. I mean I know they want to keep the property value up and maintain a safe and friendly enviroment but can a HOA really tell you how you can decorate the inside of your house (i.e. paint colors or drape colors?) The building I live in used to be a 55 and older complex and they don't like the fact that 20 somethings are moving in now that it is not a 55 and only complex exclusively. I didn't know it used to be a 55 and older complex when I moved in. Most the original owners are still there and are not willing to change anything. It doesn't make since when people in their 20's have the money to buy, and are, that things can't change with the dynamics of the building. By the way I probably wouldn't have bought the place if my realitor had gotten me a copy of the rules sooner.

**A: CC&R's rule. That's all I am saying.

Ciarraine

HomeGuru said:
**A: no wonder you do not understand the condo rules. Stay tuned, someone will explain.
Ok, that can be me.

Get out the condo package from when you bought the house. Bylaws, Community Covenants & Regulations.

It's very common to say that drapes must have a uniform colour for their backing. Interior colours, not so common but not out of the question. Start with an attitude of humility with your board: "Can you explain why that's the rule? And can you tell me how you came to have the authority to pass such a rule?" More flies with a teaspoon of honey than a barrel of vinegar.

BlueEyez1981

Thanks I just wasn't familiar with the abriviation. I have read my rules multiple times. Thats how I found out I'm not allowed to have a pet of any kind without permission from the board. Which by the way just means no to new pets. Only if you've been there forever are you allowed to have a pet. Hell the way the rules are written if I wanted to bring a fish bowl in and have some gold fish i would have to have permission. Thus like I said if I had a copy of the rules in time I would have pulled out on my offer. But whats done is done and hind sight is 20/20. I guess I'm just fustrated because the board give me so much attitude when i come in as the new person asking questions or permission to do something and I get a no.

Q: Can I put an air conditionor in the window?

Board Answer: No

Okay somewhat reasonable since I'm on the second floor and it could fall....but no way was given to allow me to be able to do it except put it in the spare bedroom where the window isn't seen and it would fall on your deck. Okay again somewhat reasonable but the house is very hot during the summer and the only room the air conditionor would cool is the spare....am I not supposed to use the rest of the house?

Q: Can I bring a dog or cat into the building?

Board Answer: No, No new pets they make too much mess and noise but we can't make people get rid of the ones that are here now.

Q: Can I rent an extra Garage? (Which there was one available we have the garage assignments to everyone in the building on our phone list which is updated monthly)

Board Answer: Well see.....2 1/2 months later.....No (the garage is still available)

Good Afternoon (Morning or Evening)
No Answer.

I feel like everyone in the building hates me or the fact that I'm a 24 year old female that bought a house and lives there by her self. I'm never home and its not like I've ever had a party there...I haven't. Sorry I guess I'm just mad that I ended up buying a place where the rules are running my life....I bought the damn place and should be able to do whatever I want to the inside of my house. I own from the drywall in and I want to do what I want to the drywall in. Obviously it can't hurt the structual integrity of the building though. I guess I was lucky in the since that the last condo I lived in the rules were no where near this strict and that why I went with a condo when I bought.
I know I'm ranting and I'm sorry....any advice on how to deal with this though....I feel like they are judging my every move I make because I'm 24 years old.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

BlueEyez1981 said:
Thanks I just wasn't familiar with the abriviation. I have read my rules multiple times. Thats how I found out I'm not allowed to have a pet of any kind without permission from the board. Which by the way just means no to new pets. Only if you've been there forever are you allowed to have a pet. Hell the way the rules are written if I wanted to bring a fish bowl in and have some gold fish i would have to have permission. Thus like I said if I had a copy of the rules in time I would have pulled out on my offer. But whats done is done and hind sight is 20/20. I guess I'm just fustrated because the board give me so much attitude when i come in as the new person asking questions or permission to do something and I get a no.

Q: Can I put an air conditionor in the window?

Board Answer: No

Okay somewhat reasonable since I'm on the second floor and it could fall....but no way was given to allow me to be able to do it except put it in the spare bedroom where the window isn't seen and it would fall on your deck. Okay again somewhat reasonable but the house is very hot during the summer and the only room the air conditionor would cool is the spare....am I not supposed to use the rest of the house?

Q: Can I bring a dog or cat into the building?

Board Answer: No, No new pets they make too much mess and noise but we can't make people get rid of the ones that are here now.

Q: Can I rent an extra Garage? (Which there was one available we have the garage assignments to everyone in the building on our phone list which is updated monthly)

Board Answer: Well see.....2 1/2 months later.....No (the garage is still available)

Good Afternoon (Morning or Evening)
No Answer.

I feel like everyone in the building hates me or the fact that I'm a 24 year old female that bought a house and lives there by her self. I'm never home and its not like I've ever had a party there...I haven't. Sorry I guess I'm just mad that I ended up buying a place where the rules are running my life....I bought the damn place and should be able to do whatever I want to the inside of my house. I own from the drywall in and I want to do what I want to the drywall in. Obviously it can't hurt the structual integrity of the building though. I guess I was lucky in the since that the last condo I lived in the rules were no where near this strict and that why I went with a condo when I bought.
I know I'm ranting and I'm sorry....any advice on how to deal with this though....I feel like they are judging my every move I make because I'm 24 years old.

**A: welcome to the good old USA and the further restrictive HOA. By the way, you may not own the drywall. In most condos, you own the airpsace within the walls.

BlueEyez1981

If you only own the air space then what is the point in buying if they can tell you everything you can and can't do? You may as well rent an apartment for the same price where at least you know why you can't do certian things. I don't know why there are so many condos around if all you own is the airspace. Thats stupid.........okay again ranting but it is stupid that someone would sell you airspace and then tell you what you and can't do. I might as well have stayed at home till i could buy a house where I could do what I wanted and lived by my mom's rules while I wated.

HomeGuru

BlueEyez1981 said:
If you only own the air space then what is the point in buying if they can tell you everything you can and can't do? You may as well rent an apartment for the same price where at least you know why you can't do certian things. I don't know why there are so many condos around if all you own is the airspace. Thats stupid.........okay again ranting but it is stupid that someone would sell you airspace and then tell you what you and can't do. I might as well have stayed at home till i could buy a house where I could do what I wanted and lived by my mom's rules while I wated.

**A: take a chill pill. Next time be this active BEFORE buying the property. Like demanding you review the CC&R's prior to closing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">