• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Forclosure - What can I keep?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marie1965

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
South Carolina

Due to complications with the settlement in a divorce case, my home is to be sold at auction next week. What items can I NOT take from the home and why? I ask this because I would love to be able to take my kitchen cabinets with me. These cabinets are very special to me because they were a hand-made gift by a close family friend, who is no longer alive, as well as my father. The sentimental value is great. What are the rules as far as taking things/gifts from a home that is to be sold at auction? I want to be sure I am within the law first before I make any decisions. Thank you.

Some Random Guy

If it is attached to the house it is part of the house. Take the cabinets at your peril. Unless you replace them with other cabinets, expect trouble.

HomeGuru

marie1965 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
South Carolina

Due to complications with the settlement in a divorce case, my home is to be sold at auction next week. What items can I NOT take from the home and why? I ask this because I would love to be able to take my kitchen cabinets with me. These cabinets are very special to me because they were a hand-made gift by a close family friend, who is no longer alive, as well as my father. The sentimental value is great. What are the rules as far as taking things/gifts from a home that is to be sold at auction? I want to be sure I am within the law first before I make any decisions. Thank you.

**A: you may take all non fixtures.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">