• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Inspection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

MY Homeowner's insurance company is coming next week to do home inspection. When I bought the home which was built in 1987 I had a wind mitigation inspector look at it to get a better insurance rate. We could find no permits for a new roof on this house after 1987. The inspector concluded that the roof could not be original because for reasons too long to go into there were special tiles and other technology in my roof not yet invented 1987. He conculded the roof was about ten years old. I spoke with the Insurance man's inspector and all he would say is Citizen's is doing this to all of their clients to :rolleyes:" make sure they are getting all the credits they deserve " I am scared they are trying to drop me or jack up my rates. If they do can I do anything?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

moburkes

Lots of insurance companies inspect. Instead of expecting the home inspector or wind mitigation company to tell you the age of your roof, contact a ROOFER to tell you the age of your roof, and whether or not your roof needs to be repaired or replaced.

But, in any case, most roofs last about 25 years. You haven't reached that point yet - so what's the real issue?

JustAPal00

OP, I do those inspections for insurance companies. If you keep up on the maintenance of your home you have nothing to fear.

Most likely the inspector is going to measure the home to calculate square footage, and see what if any additional features it has. ie: garages, decks, sheds, or pools. We look for signs of neglect such as peeling paint and rotting trim. We also look for potential hazards such as vicious dog breeds, unregistered vehicles, and pools and trampolines that aren't properly fenced.

If they need to come inside, they will look at the furnace to make sure it is in good shape and there aren't flammables stored around it. The electric panel to see what kind of electric service you have. They will also take notes of interior features to help determine the cost to rebuild the home in case of a loss.

As far as the roof is concerned, they will probably just do a visible inspection from the ground. If there are missing or broken shingles it is very easy to spot. They will also look for signs of age such as curling, buckling, and lifting of the shingles. If there are no signs of any of these and their is no water spots on the inside ceilings, then there is no reason to suspect a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">