• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homework and school attendance.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R8drnation

Homework was also given at my child,s k5. Not much in k4, though. Kids entering first grade in many districts are expected to have certain basic reading and numbers skills.
Here in Riverside County children are expected to know all Letters, capital and lower case, to be able to write their full name and be able to read simple instructions by 1st grade. At the end of this school year my daugther had to take a placement exam. THey have 3 classes in 1st grade, 1: for advanced placement and the 2: for children that stillneed help and 3: regular 1st grade

tranquility

See also:

http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/rethinkinghomework.htm

Alfie Kohn is well versed in the education establishment but has not drunk from the KoolAid. I read his book "Punished by Rewards" years ago and it helped me to re-think how I coached sports.

Isis1

Here in Riverside County children are expected to know all Letters, capital and lower case, to be able to write their full name and be able to read simple instructions by 1st grade. At the end of this school year my daugther had to take a placement exam. THey have 3 classes in 1st grade, 1: for advanced placement and the 2: for children that stillneed help and 3: regular 1st grade
and she was placed. where?

Silverplum

That's called "tracking" and we in Colorado already know that it just segregates the "bright" children, so that the "bright" children can "learn without distractions." :rolleyes: What that really means is that some parents don't want their "smart" darlings to mix with the commoners.

Educators here in Colorado know how to mix children regardless of abilities and know that the children bring each other along, with good teaching.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Isis1

must be a county thing. because in L.A.....they are all in the same class. some are pulled out for certain IEP needs...but mixed as a whole. this goes for the three school districts i've been in.

tranquility

Educators here in Colorado know how to mix children regardless of abilities and know that the children bring each other along, with good teaching.
You should have those educators write up their findings as that claim does not seem to be in the general literature. There are studies that show the benefit to the less able. For the more able?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracking_%28education%29

CJane

That's called "tracking" and we in Colorado already know that it just segregates the "bright" children, so that the "bright" children can "learn without distractions." :rolleyes: What that really means is that some parents don't want their "smart" darlings to mix with the commoners.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
We do placement tests for Kindergarten entrance and first grade placement as well. Not so that the bright kids can be sent off to the land of unicorns and fairies and leave the slow kids to the bog of eternal stench, but so the classes can be mixed up effectively, AND so that the kids can be placed with the teacher that is best-able to meet their needs as far as learning style and achievement level.

Of course, our district only has 50-60 students/grade on average, and that might not work in a bigger district.

I seriously doubt that OP's "educational concerns" are going to be considered legitimate by any court, anywhere.

Silverplum

You should have those educators write up their findings as that claim does not seem to be in the general literature. There are studies that show the benefit to the less able. For the more able?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracking_%28education%29
I can find 20 articles pro, you can find 20 articles against, we switch and do it again. (I find it interesting, though, that many schools will deny that they track when they clearly do: why deny?)

Overall, I'm unimpressed with the OP's kindygarden hysterics. :rolleyes:

ETA: Just because it irritated me, here are three of my 20, and nothing from wikipedia ;):rolleyes::
http://blog.ednewscolorado.org/2009/12/16/ib-academic-tracking-and-poverty

http://www.edweek.org/ew/issues/tracking/

http://www.colorado.edu/education/faculty/kevinwelner/Docs/Burris,Wiley,Welner_Accountability_Rigor_and_Detracking.pdf

Last edited:

tranquility

I can find 20 articles pro, you can find 20 articles against, we switch and do it again.
No, you can't. Re-read the question I asked. But, no matter. This is the legal point I was trying to make. A court is not going to force a parent to parent as the other parent wants him to. Especially on some issue like this, the answer is not always clear. Going to court over educational theory is not going to make the judge very happy.

Silverplum

No, you can't. Re-read the question I asked. But, no matter. This is the legal point I was trying to make. A court is not going to force a parent to parent as the other parent wants him to. Especially on some issue like this, the answer is not always clear. Going to court over educational theory is not going to make the judge very happy.
Well, if all you're going to read is wikipedia, then I guess I can't. :cool:

But I agree with you that it's of no matter to this thread, and that their judge is not going to be impressed with the silly kindygarden argument.

tranquility

Well, if all you're going to read is wikipedia, then I guess I can't.
Spoken like a true educator.

Two things, what makes you think my argument is based on wikipedia? Second, even if it was based there, what is your complaint? (Were the studies listed under the advantage and disadvantage areas made up? Did you find it ironic the studies (well, study) you posted didn't differ from what wikipedia summarized?)

Last edited:

Landoflakes

"With her attention span it can be quite the challenge, so sometimes we have to break it up, or just abandon it one day and spend twice as much time the next day" ...

..and OP later claims he does not go a day without helping child with homework (??)

So many things you said before and after don't match up.

If you have joint custody then aren't you supposed to have belongings for the child at your place as well instead of waiting for Mom to send some over? If you do then why fuss over the fact that Mom doesn't? The fact that Mom doesn't exchange things does not necessarily mean Mom does not have school supplies for the kid.

It's nice that you are concerned about your child's education but it would be nicer if you would work with child's mom to see how to make things better for the best of the child.

And that's your child's Mom, not "the mom". You don't want her to call you "it" -sorry.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
This child, according to OP, KNOWS the value of education. SO now it's up to Dad to teach her what that involves. That she is responsible for getting her work done. A lot to expect of a 5/6yo? Yep. But... doable.

I've said it before - I have always been rather hands-off when it came to school/homework. Kindy homework? Busy work. I taught my kids in other ways - more hands on ways. But worksheets, etc? Please, Math can be learned via cooking, science via being out of doors and other fun activities, reading... by reading books together. And so on and so forth.

As for tracking vs not? Hoenstly? I think not tracking helps those who are less able and hurts those who are more. Based on personal experience, the brighter kids end up helping teach the less so. At the cost of their own time/work. When my kid was bringing home hours of homework - because he spent his school time helping other kids instead of doing is own classwork (at the behest of the teacher)? Not acceptable.

Tracking benefits the brighter kids as they get that attention they need. Does it surprise anyone that our representation in science/math/technology has gone down wrt other countries? Why our graduate schools are full of foreigners? OUR best and brightest are being thrown onto the pyre of inclusion. And they suffer for it.

Oh, and CO? Is "average" in Math & Science. Lower than states that track. But... I guess that's "good enough" for some... :rolleyes:

Silverplum

Oh, and CO? Is "average" in Math & Science. Lower than states that track. But... I guess that's "good enough" for some... :rolleyes:
I suppose it is for those who have/had their children in public schools, which is "good enough" for some. For others such as myself, it's not "good enough." For instance, my skids know to end a sentence with a period: that's apparently not something everyone learns, even long after "adulthood."

I just like to think about and discuss things that don't necessarily have to do strictly with ME. ;) It's a fun habit to develop: you may wish to try it sometime. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">