• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hospital bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

denverb

What is the name of your state? minnesota

has anyone had any experience with this?

my ex took my child to the clinic because she was sick a couple weeks ago. yesterday, i got mail from the clinic showing what was done and what the charges for everything were. It said it wasn't a bill but that a bill would be coming. There is no way that i should have gotten this - clinic does not have any of my information and my ex would not volunteer it unless she put ME down as the guarantor so she could get out of paying the bill.

I am going to be calling the clinic today to see what is up. If ex put me as guarantor or if they were just sending it as a courtesy since the insurance is through my current wife.

my ex took the child and would have been the one to sign for the services. can they just charge whoever she tells them to or does she have the legal responsibility since she signed the papers?

it was just ordered that i pay 70% medical and ex pays 30%. a hearing was set up for early march where i was going to ask that it be stipulated that each party pay their portion directly to hospital, etc. I have no problem paying my portion - the problem i do have is if i am the one held responsible by the clinic - then when my ex doesn't pay her 30% - i will have to pay it so my credit isn't screwed. and believe me she will not reimburse me for it - which creates the headache of going back to court for contempt - and unless they take it directly from the cs she gets she still won't pay it.

Is this something else i should address at the hearing? - that my ex shall list herself as the guarantor since she is the one who will be taking her to the dr? (plus, if she can just list whoever she wants as guarantor, i don't want to have to call every time the child goes to the dr to get it changed back)

can the hospital hold me responsible or can i tell them it has to be my ex's legal responsibility since she signed for it? just trying to get my facts straight before i call so i don't get the run around and it sounds like i know what i'm talking about legally.

denverb

talked to the clinic - they have me as the guarantor. they refuse to change it unless my ex tells them to (which she won't) how can they do this? i didn't sign any consent forms or anything! does anyone know anything that i can do about this???

haiku

because services were rendered to a minor, it will fall on the parents to pay the bill, even if she did not make you responsible in the first place, if she renigs on the bill, it would still fall on you to pay for your childs care.

if that happens she would be considered in contempt of her court order to pay her 30% and you can take her back to court to get her to pay. (I have been there and done that....)

At this point I would go to the doctors office and show them your court order, explain you will be happy to pay your percentage, but that the rest must be paid by her, usually the docotrs office will comply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">