• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile Work Environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bhill5448

I work in an office in Maryland and the head of the department does not know how to use a computer and she has been using other employees to do the work for her. I believe this creates a hostile work environment. Is there anything legally that can be done to stop this?

quincy

I work in an office in Maryland and the head of the department does not know how to use a computer and she has been using other employees to do the work for her. I believe this creates a hostile work environment. Is there anything legally that can be done to stop this?
What you describe does not meet the definition of a hostile work environment. Following is a link to Maryland’s Unlawful Employment Practices, Maryland Code §20-606 (2023):

https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/state-government/title-20/subtitle-6/section-20-606/

The forum has members who have working experience with unlawful employment practices and they can provide you with additional information.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
In what way?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you are wrong. That does not come even remotely close to creating a hostile work environment as the law defines it. As you have described it, this is just another day at the office (pun intended). She's the head of the department; you work for her. If that's how she chooses to utilize the resources of her department and the head office is satisfied with the way she is running things, that's all she wrote.

You could, if you really want to paint a target on your back, discuss the situation with HR, but I do not recommend it. The employer hired her knowing the limits of her skills and thought she still brought enough to the table to bring her aboard. Complaining is not likely to serve you well in the long run.

Just Blue

That's what department heads do. They use employees to do the work for them.

Get used to it. It's how work works.

;)
It's what my Boss does... Why just yesterday I got an e-mail to call a customer who was angry that we won't change company policies just for her snowflake self. I spent an hour of my day using my best "customer service voice". I excel at that, which is likely why I was chosen for the job.

This chore was passed down from the top brass to lower rungs on the totem pole until it ended up on my to do list. Did I like it? Nope! But...such is life.

bhill5448

Thanks for the clarification on the hostile work environment. I hear what you're saying but I don't think people know that she can't use a computer at all. It's not like they give people at her level a test. I don't know anyone who works in an office setting who doesn't use a computer.

quincy

I work in an office in Maryland and the head of the department … has been using other employees to do the work for her. I believe this creates a hostile work environment. Is there anything legally that can be done to stop this?
What I have bolded above actually can be an important quality to have in a head of a department.

A good department head will identify the strengths (and weaknesses) of the employees in the department and assign work to those best equipped to carry out the tasks in a timely manner. This can help the department as a whole run more efficiently and effectively.

In other words, what you might find annoying might be why your employer appointed this woman as department head in the first place - her skill at designating tasks.

Bali Hai Again

What I have bolded above actually can be an important quality to have in a head of a department.

A good department head will identify the strengths (and weaknesses) of the employees in the department and assign work to those best equipped to carry out the tasks in a timely manner. This can help the department as a whole run more efficiently and effectively.

In other words, what you might find annoying might be why your employer appointed this woman as department head in the first place - her skill at designating tasks.
It’s called delegation and must be done carefully so that direct reports do not feel dumped on. The way employees feel is very important these days.

zddoodah

the head of the department does not know how to use a computer and she has been using other employees to do the work for her. I believe this creates a hostile work environment.
You are incorrect. That's not even remotely what "hostile work environment" means. Your post raises no legal issue. It's merely a business management/employee relations issue.

Is there anything legally that can be done to stop this?
You're free to report the matter to the person to whom the department head reports. You're also free to seek employment elsewhere.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While Z is, of course, correct that you can report the matter, I still do not recommend it. While it is true that skills tests are not performed at that level, you may be sure that during her hiring interviews they went very, very closely into the matter of her job duties and her experience in the work of the department. I very much doubt they care who pushes the buttons on the computer; they're much more concerned with how the output is managed.

And if you do report this, what do you expect them to do? Fire her? Make her take computer courses?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">