• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hotel suing after wedding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mguirgui

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hotel states that the wedding coordinator and a family member ordered 4 extra meals and a table to accommodate guests who showed up.

My contract is strictly between me and the hotel. All the papers have been signed only by me and my wife. Our wedding coordinator is never mentioned in any paper. Hotel claims that she is my "representative". I told them that she is there only for advice and consultation.

I have been e-mailing catering manager back and forth regarding this and now the hotel is threatening to send to collections. They don't have anything signed by me stating extra charges.

Amount is $500

Can they legally do this? If it ruins my credit or affects it (I have perfect credit), can I sue them? Is it worth it?

Thank you,

Michael

mguirgui

We had already gave them a higher number because, honestly, in our culture people just show up. So we considered that. Also, 8 people didn't show up so there were plenty of empty seats.

Did they eat? Yes

Did they get a table? Initially yes but then they moved into the other empty seats.

Issue at hand is can the hotel just do what they are instructed by anyone and bill me for it? I mean I will pay for something that one of my guests broke or damaged. Fine.

However, should they listen to a panicked person and just do what they requested and bill me for it?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Did the contract specify that only you and your wife could make changes?

xylene

The key question

Did you receive services GREATER than what was specified in the contract you signed?

Please answer unequivocally yes or no

It sound to me like you are saying "kind of"

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Did you receive services GREATER than what was specified in the contract you signed?

Please answer unequivocally yes or no

It sound to me like you are saying "kind of"
I disagree - he's not saying "kind of" he's saying that he DID receive the additional services. ie: There was an extra table put out AND used. There was additional food prepared beyond the initial amount ordered.

I feel the hotel is perfectly within its rights to treat the wedding coordinator as a representative of the newlyweds. Furthermore, I don't see the newlyweds winning since they did use the services provided. The ONLY thing I can see that might be up in the air is the actual value of the additional service/items provided.

You Are Guilty

I feel the hotel is perfectly within its rights to treat the wedding coordinator as a representative of the newlyweds. Furthermore, I don't see the newlyweds winning since they did use the services provided. The ONLY thing I can see that might be up in the air is the actual value of the additional service/items provided.
Here's the legal background as to why you're probably correct here:
http://www.asbar.org/Digest/agency_dig.htm#BtwnPrinAg

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">