• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House fire in Ohio - does she have to leave?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LindaP777

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

Posting for an acquaintance. I had no idea what to tell her and was hoping someone here knows the answer.

"We had a house fire (small) and the landlord can not afford to fix the damages with what his insurance is quoting his repairs. Our lease was signed on November 1st 2015 and he wants us to find a new place asap, six months into our one year lease. The fire was started from a dryer that shorted out somewhere inside the machine. This stackable machine was provided by him and was written as provided in the lease. The fire department stated the home was habitable. Our rent is up to date (paid in check so I have proof) and he left us with a lease addendum to sign stating we are breaking the lease together due to repairs needed on the house because of a fire and is trying to get me to sign it with a date I can be out. It's slim pickings in my area and price range and honestly I don't know when I can be out. I feel like I have the right to stay until I find something that works for our family. That our rent should be reduced since the washer and dryer written in the lease is not here anymore and I have to go to a laundry mat. And that he should pay our moving costs since it is of no fault of our own that the lease is being broken. Anyone know someone who can help?"

FarmerJ

Linda I haven't seen your user name here in ages so good to see you. BUT to your friends dilemma you posted >The fire department stated the home was habitable.< but you didn't say much as to what the actual damages to the house were outside of the obvious , smoke damages SO if I was the tenant and didn't have the funds to go somewhere else then id be arguing that since >The fire department stated the home was habitable.< I wasn't leaving early , If I really couldn't go anywhere then id dig in and clean it up the walls and ceilings the best I could with before and after pics to show the damages for my records and now that its garage sale season if I had to use someones old wringer washer and clothes lines to dry on Id do it and not worry about the LLs taking the appliances out since having a place to live might be more critical to me. Does the home have a diminished value with out washer/dryer yes but its not going to be a lot of money and with community wide rummage sales too fair odds are the tenant can indeed get a automatic for a reasonable price too and still line dry. BUT unless that unit was condemned the LL can really let the tenant stay on and the tenants lease is still enforceable. your friend should store a copy of that lease off premise so it doesn't vanish into thin air

LindaP777

Hey Farmer J! Yeah, long time no see! I got real busy with life! Thanks for responding, I'm forwarding it on to her.
Keep up the good work! ;-)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">